Urch Forums

GMAT SC: because vs. in that

tsdvj

Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

A.

B. because they are composed of tissues like tooth and bone that are

C. because they are composed of tissues, like tooth and bone, tissues

D. in that their composition , tissues such as tooth and bone, is

E. in that they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone, tissues

The correct answer is E. I don't understand what exactly the ETS is looking for here.

TIA,

tsdvj

It is a 'modifier' question.

The modifier should be close to what it modifies and clearly indicates what it modifies.

In A, "not normally found..." modifies "bone"

In B, "that.." modifies "bone" again

In C, two "tissues" are separated by two commas.

In D, Composition = tissues? One is singular, the other is plural.

Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

A. because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone

B. because they are composed of tissues like tooth and bone that are

C. because they are composed of tissues, like tooth and bone, tissues

D. in that their composition , tissues such as tooth and bone, is

E. in that they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone, tissues

The correct answer is E. I don't understand what exactly the ETS is looking for here.

TIA,

tsdvj

Hello there, tsdvj! First, it was kind of hard to read this SC with neither underlining nor a repeat of answer A, so I added underlining to your original post.

Okay, on to your question. We have a couple of things happening at the same time. Let's do the easy ones first.

First, we have the like vs. such as grammar point. Are you familiar with this one? It's quite common in SC. Here it is:

like: used to express similarity: Lemons are like limes. Okay, that's easy, right? Right. But look at this mistake:

:doh: I want you to buy me some fruits like lemons and limes. :doh:

This sentence is most likely wrong because the sentence actually means that I want you NOT to buy me lemons and limes; I want you to buy me some fruits that are SIMILAR TO lemons and limes.

:D I want you to buy me some fruits such as lemons and limes. :D

such as can be seen to mean "for example," so this sentence essentially means that I want you to buy me lemons and limes and perhaps any other similar fruit.

VXU has correctly pointed out the modifier question, and he is absolutely right. I would like to add, though, that we should not simply eliminate any answer choice just because the modifier is not right next to its noun; it is very easy to formulate a correct sentence with a bit of separation between the modifier and the "modified." For example:

I very much liked the people in India who showed me around.

You can see that who showed me around modifies people but is next to in India, but the sentence is correct simply because it doesn't cause any confusion.

Next, we should also be aware of the difference between because and in that. First, using pure strategy, when ETS puts both because and in that, the answer is most likely in that. Second, because is used to express a simple causal relationship whereas in that qualifies the previous statement.

Confused? Look at these examples:

Cause and effect relationship: I went to sleep because I was tired. ==> Being tired caused me to go to sleep.

Qualification: Going to college is a sacrifice in that doing so requires several years of forgoing the income that students could have earned had they not attended college. ==> Going to college is a sacrifice, BUT NOT IN EVERY WAY; there are many ways in which going to college is NOT a sacrifice, but in this sentence, I want to express one way in which going to college IS a sacrifice.

In our SC, "in that" is more precise than "because." "because" is actually wrong in this sentence, but a lot of my students, when they ask about this question, adamantly believe that it is correct, so instead of explaining why "because" is wrong, I explain why "in that" is better. This usually does the trick.

This point make sense? (Raghuveer--if you're reading this, please note the absence of "Does." ) I hope so, but please be sure to post back for clarification. (Edit: The comment to Raghuveer was made in reference to a question he asked earlier about omitting the do in questions in spoken English in this thread)

Finally, many students will think that E is wrong because it repeats the word "tissues." There are many different ways to explain why this is correct, but the easiest way for me now (if you understand some grammar terms) is to say that it is okay to repeat the noun for clarification. For those of you who know grammar well, the second "tissues" can be seen as a reduction of "which are tissues," what we often refer to as a "reduced adjective clause."

Hope that helps!!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is from GMATPrep

The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce enough berries to make between one and twelve pounds of dried beans a year.

A enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce

B enormously in that a single tree, dependent on its size and also on climate and altitude, is able to produce

C enormously, because a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is able to produce

D enormously, because a single tree, being dependent on its size, climate, and altitude, is capable of producing

E enormously, because a single tree, dependent on its size as well as on climate and altitude, could produce

OA C

-----------------------------------

Back to the topic of "in that" versus "because". Why is "because" better than "in that"?

between answer choice C and the sentence below (not a choice above), which would be better?

"enormously in that a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is able to produce"

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey Erin.Thanx for wonderful explanation.one thing i would lie to clarify.

in example for such as vs like

does that mean like is used for pure comparison (in ur example it excludes lemons and limes) and such as is used for example(that includes limes and lemons+other citrus fruits)