Urch Forums

Licensure requirment for us citizens

Jasmin

Hello every one

I have a question regarding the licensure requirment . Im a us citizen with a foreign degree in pharmacy.

As we know theguidlines state that to be eligible for fpgee exam the applicant should provide an unrestricted license from any country . Im american so an unrestrcted license that i could gain will be only from my home country wich is USA! i can only provide an affidavit of being unable to obtain a license from the country of degree since im not a citizen.

Will that be enough?

Please I would be very thankfull for any help!thanks

Hi Jasmin.

Here is what happened to me:

I am a US born citizen and decided to go to the Philippines for pharmacy school. This was in 2006.

Fast forward to 2010, I graduated with a BS in Pharmacy. I took up a 5th year for Clinical Pharmacy and finished 2011 in May. I did not take the board exam because I believed I did not need a license, just a degree. So I flew back to California and applied for the FPGEE exam. I was denied because I needed a "license to practice pharmacy in the country where I earned my degree". This was in the beginning of November 2011.

In my case, I am a Philippine citizen as well. I flew back to the Philippines December 2011 and took the Philippine Pharmacy Licensure Exam in January 2012. I flew back to California, reapplied, and got the ok from the governing bodies to take the FPGEE on November 2012.

That is my story. In regards to not being able to take the exam because you are not a citizen of the country where you got your degree seems to be a "Catch 22" situation. I had a classmate who was not a Philippine citizen and finished the same time I did. I lost contact with her and I am not sure what she has done about it. Last I heard she wanted some sort of affidavit from the government/board of pharmacy saying she should be exempt... but only the FPGEC can deem you exempt or not.

The best recourse is to petition to be able to take the board exam in the country you got your degree even if you aren't a citizen.

My information, however, is dated by about 5 years or so. It's best to call the FPGEC for a solid answer.

Thanks so much for your fast reply .. I hope you keep me updated with any new information you get..

I called the costumer service and the representitive stated that my options are limited .he suggested I take the pharmd program .. And what about these five years I spent from my life studying and workin hard . Its not my falt that my conditions then forced me to stay abroad!

I really feel so unfair teers in my eyes all the time..

I will try to fax the board maybe they would give me an exemption

Fingerscrossed:sorrow: