Urch Forums

Help Me rate This one

"A business should not be held responsible for providing customers with complete information about its products or services; customers should have the responsibility of gathering information about the products or services they may want to buy."

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

--------------

I agree, in parts, to the statement above that the business should not be held responsible for providing customers with complete information about its products and services. The statement's validity depends upon the type of industry. Based on my experiences, along with examples, I'll show how important it is for a set of industry to provide complete information about its products or services.

In service's oriented industry for eg. computer consultancy, the one in which I work, the completeness of information is the criterion, ofcourse with a heavy weightage, that affects the relationship between the business and the customers. Because of the sensitive nature of services, its not possible for the business to expose to the customers, such services for an analysis. In such business, customers come with a specific set of request and what they get along with their request is a plethora of options/ services, which facilitates the customer's need. In such times of high competition, the onus is on the business side to make sure that the customer always gets more than asked for.

Nowadays, its the business, which makes sure that the customer does not spend time gathering information on the product. It is the business, which needs to gather information, on behalf of the customers, and come up with services that can be customized for the customers. However, at the same time I don't rule out exceptions where in customers should be held responsible for gathering information about the products or services they may want to buy.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's great. The arguments are pertinent and well developed. However I think you could work on the structure: use more clear separations, like "firstly, secondly", even though it sounds very scholar...

After your last sentence, you could have given an example of the opposite side of what you developed in the first place. And then finally draw a conclusion.

How is this one ??

The argument that customers have the responsibility of gathering information about the products or services they may want to buy is not supported enough with proper justification. The argument makes many assumptions and fails to address certain key issues as detailed below.

First, the argument assumes that it is always possible for customers to gather the relevant information about the products or services. For example, if a product say, a food item does not provide the expiry date, then it is difficult for the customer to find out the same.

Second, the argument makes a generic statement about all kinds of businesses. It might be possible for customers to gather information about certain products on their own, but this is not true in all cases. For example, if I buy some fruits directly from a farmer, I can easily enquire about the freshness of the fruits from him. But if I buy an aerated drink which does not provide the expiry date, from a retailer, then the retailer may not be able to provide me the required information.

Third, the argument does not provide any explanation as to why a business should not be held responsible for not providing complete information. It does not give a clear picture if there are any obstacles in providing the complete information.

Concluding, the argument is not sound enough and fails to justify its conclusion. It is not persuasive. If the argument addressed some the issues discussed above, it would have been more convincing.

• 4 weeks later...