Urch Forums

Please rate/feedback. highly appreciated

Hello all.

English is not my mother tong, and I am new to awa, I don't have a clue where I stand My confidence is nearlly zero.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

“All groups and organizations should function as teams in which everyone makes decisions and shares

responsibilities and duties. Giving one person central authority and responsibility for a project or task is not an

effective way to get work done.”

To what extent do you agree or disagree with the opinion expressed above? Support your views with reasons and/or

specific examples drawn from your own work or school experiences, your observations, or your reading.

Team work is certainly a productive way to organize a group of people around a common task. Although I believe that teams where decision making is equally shared will only be productive if running under proper coordination and in the right context. Otherwise, shared responsibilities and decisions are more likely to slow down the decision making process. In addition, a central authority might be in better position to take faster decisions and therefore speeding up productivity towards the project's completion.

In my opinion, provided the team is always under supervision of a qualified manager, some degree of shared decision might be highly productive in some specific areas. In other words, even if team members can take independent decision, a manager should be always prompt to act and solve any decision deadlock that may come up, and thus preventing unnecessary delays. Let's take creative teams of advertisement agencies as example, in this context, in order to be creative every member has a high degree of freedom regarding decision and responsibilities, although always orchestrated by a creative director, which holds the ultimate responsibility. In the same way, research teams working on a common problem can greatly benefit from such a team organization, where the freedom to take decisions would enable creativity, but again, a supervising manager should be always present to ensure the decision is aligned with project's goal.

Furthermore, there is no doubt that most successful organizations have figured out the most effective way to efficiently run projects to it's conclusion. Admittedly today's companies are generally organized in a hierarchical structure, where a manager is responsible for a whole project and it's outcome. However, team members often can take some decisions, which are generally restricted to their duties and functions.

In sum, I agree that team work and shared responsibilities at some extent, is important to get the work done, in general is not the most effective way. Therefore I believe that the balance between the decision power among team and an it's management holds the key for the most effective setup.

Total time: 2:25

Word count: 341