Urch Forums

024 A powerful business leader has far more opportunity

Hi freinds,

Please give inputs.

---------------

24. "A powerful business leader has far more opportunity to influence the course of a community or a nation than does any government official." Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

-----------------

I think government officials have more opportunities to influence the course of a community than any business leader because government officials implement the policies of the government, they do not have any personal agenda that conflicts with overall good of society and they are appointed by government which makes them responsible to the people in turn.

Firstly, government officials are appointed by the government, which is responsible to the people and thus making these officials responsible to the people. A sytem of check is maintained hence it gives confidence and also a sense of belonging to the people. People believe them and hence make these officials more effective in influencing the community.

Secondly, government officials do not have any conflict of interest with society. They are paid for their role as a public servant. They cannot make money for themselves because of the actions they take as part of their job. It is illegal for them to do so. On the other hand, business leader are doing business and their job is to make money for themselves ot their company. This job to make maoney restricts them to make or influence decisions that run counter to their own interest. Hence, government official can make decisions and implement them more freely and whenever required. Thus government and communities trust them and give them more responsibilities than they would be willing to give to any business leader.

Most importantly, government officials are implementing policies of the government hence they are always in the middle of implementing policies that influences the community. Every new government brings new policy and these officials give their inputs to the leader, thereby influence the formation of the policy. This new policy is then implemented by government official which again can make significant contribution over how the policy is implemented. For example, SEC commisioner has a policy of more transparency in corporate governance. He influences the whole stock market by his actions.

I therefore believe that government officials are in best position to influence the community and they have the most opportunities to do so.

Hi Parag,

Just want to jot down some of the stuff we talked about before class.

As I said, your writing is good and effective, but it seems a little dry. I suggested you add a few more examples to make your writing more vivid.

I'll take a look at some of your other writing now.