Urch Forums

132 In any business or other organization, it is better to h

132. “In any business or other organization, it is better to have managers with strong leadership skills than managers with expertise and work experience in a particular field.”

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

• 3 months later...

Please rate my essay at the earliest. I have my test on dec/3rd.

Thanx

essay:

Whether to have managers with leadership skills or with expertise and work experience is the question on hand. In my view, the both the ability to lead and the expertise with work experience are a prerequisite for one to be an effective and efficient manager.

On one hand, the ability to lead a team is an important quality that cannot be ignored. For Instance, a good manager is one who takes up well-calculated challenges and accomplishes them by taking along the team members. A manager needs take up the responsibility of acquiring, allocating and adjusting the resources at hand. He or she needs to motive the team to achieve the set goal. Similarly, A good manager is one who understands the needs and wants of each individual member of the team, correlates the goals of individuals with the goals of the team and organisation. In summary, the manager is supposed to have leadership qualities so as to bring the best in the team.

On the other hand, one cannot ignore the importance of expertise and work experience. A manager, however good in leadership abilities, if lacks expertise and work experience is bound to struggle to succeed, if not fail. For instance, in professional teams, the manager needs to have some expertise in the field of interest of the team. A football team manager needs to have some knowledge in football game and the management of the football team. Similarly, the need for work experience also places an important role. A manager who lacks work experience in the area in which the team works would face practice problems on the field. For example, a manager with theoretical knowledge in the field of expertise and with good leadership skills would not be as effective as a manager who possesses all the three - leadership skills, expertise and work experience. This is because one tends to learn more by experience.

In sum, though leadership skills play an important role in making a manager successful, the lack of expertise and work experience would definitely undermine the abilities of a manager. Thus the best bet would be to have a manager who has the ability to lead, the domain knowledge and sufficient work experience.

• 4 months later...

comments welcome :

Many people believe that in any business its is better to have a manager with strong leadership skills , however , I believe that it is a manager with expertise and work experience in a particular field who is better capable of leading the business .In this discussion I shall present arguments to support my opinion .

One reason for my belief is that ,it is a common observation that subordinates and co-workers tend to respect a manager more if they perceive him or her to be an expert in the field.For example , when Apple's founder Steve Jobs ,was replaced by a seasoned manager , Apple could not roll out any innovative product ,as a consequence of which its profits declined .The company started making profits only after its founder Steve Jobs, an expert in his field , was brought back .

Another reason for my belief is that every business has a personality of its own , which can only be learned by a long association with it.And hence it is important that its leadership have a long work experience in that organization .Like GE's celebrated former CEO , Jack Welch ,who had been employed by GE for most of his working years .

Some might argue that qualities of leadership are the only attributes needed to lead an organization .However ,I believe that ,leadership is one important attribute along with others such as gaining the trust , respect and the confidence of the co-workers of a business , that are necessary for successfully managing a business.

In conclusion , I believe that a manager with expertise and work experience in a particular business is better suited to lead that business than one with just strong leadership skills.