Urch Forums

Please give feedback on my essay-

"If a nation is to ensure its own economic success, it must maintain a highly

competitive educational system in which students compete among themselves and against students from other countries.”

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion.....

My Answer:--

The contentious issue of whether a country can increase its economical success through a highly competitive education system , could be argued upon perpetually. From one point of view it can be said that in the times of global economy it is important for a country to produce highly skilled people who are able to compete with people of any country and that can be done through a competitive education system. On the contrary it can also be argued that too much competition reduces the innovative and independent thinking of the students. While many people opine that highly competitive education system in which students not only compete with the students of their own country but also with the students of the other countries is helpful in the economical development of the country, I firmly believe that competitive education system will not significantly effect a country’s economical success.

Firstly, The innovative attitude among students is more important for a country to be a economical powerhouse as compared to the competition among the students. Students will be more innovative if they can concentrate more on the independent thinking and less on scoring more marks in the standardized tests , which is the target of a highly competitive education system .Moreover if a student is busy in cramming stuff to score marks then he can’t spend appropriate in analyzing the different solutions of a problem and thinking out of the box. For instance lets compare the patents filled by different countries ,which are a good indicator of creativity of people of a country and it’s education system. The number of patent filled by western countries is more where creativity is given significant importance as compared with patents filled by eastern countries where the marks scored in exams are more important. In today's knowledge economy it is more important for a country that it's students are able to develop new technologies so that that country can be at economical advantage as compared to other countries.

Admittedly, The competition among the students is a temping solution for the economical success of country as it motivates the students to work harder. However it puts lots of pressure on the minds of young students to score good. Under pressure to perform , students suffer physically and mentally. It reduces their play time and other activity time which are also important for the overall development of the child. As a matter of fact the suicide rate among the students increases in the highly competitive societies when the result time is near .I think the highly stressed student will constraint progress of a country rather taking it forward.

I will like to present my personnel example to strengthen my point of view. I have completed my schoolin`g in two schools. In the former students worked very hard to get a slight edge over each other so the emphasis was on cramming the notes. In my latter school the emphasis was on understanding the fundamentals and over all development of the personality. I can say that students of my latter school are much better equipped for the challenges of life as compared with those of former.

Lastly, the rat race between the students also hinder in the development moral values in students. If the students focus on getting ahead of each other then they will not develop the respect and compassion for each other. This type of education system will produce the back stabbers who will not believe in the team work .Undoubtfully everyone with agree with me that such citizens can't play a constructive role in the economical development of a country.

Consequently, I deem that a highly competitive education system will not ensure the economical success for a country. In my view it will be much better for a country if it allows it’s students to develop an independent and creative thinking instead of getting into a futile competition that will not help then in long run.

Thanks ....