Urch Forums

Do motorists pay attention on a billboard?

vital

An advertisement on a billboard displays the message to passing motorists, “Honk if you don’t use Blind-O Window Cleaner” Based on this advertisement, which of the following statements can be concluded?

a) A driver who reads the sign and then honks in response to it must not use Blind-O Window Cleaner.

b) A driver who does not use Blind-O Window Cleaner will honk after reading the sign.

c) Based on this advertisement, it is possible to determine a motorist’s use of blind-O window Cleaner if that motorist does not honk after reading the sign.

d) If a driver uses Blind-O window cleaner, he or she will not honk after reading the sign.

e) A driver who reads the sign and then does not honk must not use Blind-O Window Cleaner

The right answe is E. Source is Peterson's Logic Review. The question is standard: where is logic here? It is possible to come to this answer by excluding all the others. Is there a shotcut?

Here is the explanation from the book:

The premise of this argument is presented as an if-then syllogism. The trick is that the sentence is inverted. It is easier to understand if you invert sentence to read, “if you don’t use Blind O Window, than honk”. With an if-then argument, a valid conclusion may be reached if you are told that the if clause is false. Therefore, knowing that a driver does not use Blind O window cleaner can result in conclusion that the driver will NOT honk. Conversely, knowing that the driver is not honking can result in a conclusion that the driver does use Blind O window. Hearing a driver honk is not sufficient to draw any conclusion, since that driver could be honking merely in relation to the traffic or for some other reason. Therefore, answer A is incorrect.

This explanation sounds like another CR question for me. :)

Well I do understand the explaination and it makes perfect sense also but if you carefully read "A" is says clearly that "A driver who reads the sign and then honks in response to it must not use Blind-O Window Cleaner"

Hence its not merely honking but honking in response to billboard and not any traffic......

Originally posted by shri62

If you carefully read "A" is says clearly that "A driver who reads the sign and then honks in response to it must not use Blind-O Window Cleaner"

Hence its not merely honking but honking in response to billboard and not any traffic......

Yes, this is absolutely true.

E is out because it's entirely possible, even likely, that the driver chose to ignore the ad. I would. ;)

Thanks for explanation. I was misled by the phrase: “Hearing a driver honk is not sufficient to draw any conclusion” and I could not understand explanation, since my first choice was different from the answer E that was suggested by the book

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

well, to me A is correct and the only logical and possible answer, cause the motorist does "honk" in response, and this is the only answer telling that expressis verbis

hope you agree

Jo

:p:p

sound like nuts to me.... it does not make sense at all.... would someone actually honk even if they use the Blind-O Window Cleaner?

doesn't the ad says somethig like u will need to honk if u do not use the Blind-O Window Cleaner?

Originally posted by vital

An advertisement on a billboard displays the message to passing motorists, “Honk if you don’t use Blind-O Window Cleaner” Based on this advertisement, which of the following statements can be concluded?

a) A driver who reads the sign and then honks in response to it must not use Blind-O Window Cleaner.

b) A driver who does not use Blind-O Window Cleaner will honk after reading the sign.

c) Based on this advertisement, it is possible to determine a motorist’s use of blind-O window Cleaner if that motorist does not honk after reading the sign.

d) If a driver uses Blind-O window cleaner, he or she will not honk after reading the sign.

e) A driver who reads the sign and then does not honk must not use Blind-O Window Cleaner

The right answe is E. Source is Peterson's Logic Review. The question is standard: where is logic here? It is possible to come to this answer by excluding all the others. Is there a shotcut?