Urch Forums

Tuberculosis in country X

kannn

The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will not help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

A) Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.

B) Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.

C) Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.

D) Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.

E) Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.

The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will not help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

A) Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.

B) Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.

C) Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.

D) Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.

E) Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.

I'm between A and C.

I feel C is much stronger.

I choose C..

P: # of Tub. cases increased in Country X..Why? Speculatation : Neighbouring Country Y tub. outbreak is the cause.

P: all visitors of Y have to undergo medical exam to enter X

External conclusion in the question: This plan will NOT work to curb the spread. WHY ? There is an assumption while executing the plan and that is human contacts ( visitors ) are in the list of tub. causes !!

And this is exactly what option (D) opposes.

(D) Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.

So, that weakens the argument and stongly suggest that the plan will NOT help curb the spread of the disease in country X.

P: # of Tub. cases increased in Country X..Why? Speculatation : Neighbouring Country Y tub. outbreak is the cause.

External conclusion in the question: This plan will NOT work to curb the spread. WHY ? There is an assumption while executing the plan and that is human contacts ( visitors ) are in the list of tub. causes !!

So, that weakens the argument and stongly suggest that the plan will NOT help curb the spread of the disease in country X.

Why can't it be A? When country Y is not spreading anything to the other neighbouring country, obviously country Y is not the cause for country X's disease.

Or am I something missing here?

Why can't it be A? When country Y is not spreading anything to the other neighbouring country, obviously country Y is not the cause for country X's disease.

Or am I something missing here?

Please try to think of what is the conclusion ( rather external conclusion ) of this argument ?

"the proposed medical examinations will not help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X"

At this moment if you take a look at choice (A), how does it matter to country X's plan to curb the spread of the disease ? You can assume that country Z might have a different policy/plan already implemented to overcome the situation and that would be way outside the scope of this argument.

Please try to think of what is the conclusion ( rather external conclusion ) of this argument ?

"the proposed medical examinations will not help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X"

At this moment if you take a look at choice (A), how does it matter to country X's plan to curb the spread of the disease ? You can assume that country Z might have a different policy/plan already implemented to overcome the situation and that would be way outside the scope of this argument.

Yeah. True. D seems to be stronger. OA is D.

Yeah. True. D seems to be stronger. OA is D.

I think D is very good but I strongly feel B is the answer. If current medical technology itself is not possible to detect all carriers of tubercolosis, and if users of country Y have a carrier that cannot be detected by the medical examination then a lot of visitors would come into the country with the carrier and then spread it to other people in Country X . But I definitely agree that D is also a strong contendor. If anyone can thwart my reasoning, would really appreciate it.

I think D is very good but I strongly feel B is the answer. If current medical technology itself is not possible to detect all carriers of tubercolosis, and if users of country Y have a carrier that cannot be detected by the medical examination then a lot of visitors would come into the country with the carrier and then spread it to other people in Country X . But I definitely agree that D is also a strong contendor. If anyone can thwart my reasoning, would really appreciate it.

Victor....B is good. However, all it tells us is that some of the problem can be filtered out. D tells us that nothing filters out even if we implement the proposal...

Hence D...

Does that make sense?

@tublai Why not C, if the country does not have resources to examine all the visitors then some might still come and spread TC irrespective of how it is spread

Very good question chandak_anand.

© states: Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.

How I read this sentence is Country X does have resources to examine "some" visitors. Why ? Lets say, a group of sportsmen goes to medical examination to a medicare clinic and the adminsitrative body says that the medical clinic doesn't have enough equipment or facilities available to examine "all" of the sportsmen. What does this signify - that the clinic has some short facilities available to examine only a subset of that group , NOT all of members. Here we have the same situation.

If the choice were : Country X does not have the resources to examine "any" visitors from Country Y, then I would have think of it as a contender and taken a second look.

Having said that, then choice © is actually strengthening the statement stating that Country X will be able to success to curb the spreading of the disease though NOT in full strength but to some extent.

Hence © is not clogging the plan of Country X. Rathen (D) says, that the ROOT cause of the disease is something else that is not related to Human contact. Hence any medical examination will NOT at all help Country X in executing the plan and getting a success.

Does that help? Please jump on with your comments.

So by saying that root cause of disease is something other than human contact , does it means that it would not be caught in medical examination ?

Yes. Let's take a look at the argument and try to find the reason, why Country X is concerned to implement the medical examination plan?

"The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year" - so, its just a mere speculation of Country X's media that led to a planning of medical exam for Country Y's visitor to Country X. Hence an assumption in built with this statement that people / human contacts / human activities are somehow related to this widespread disease and henceforth required all visitors of Y to submit a medical exam.

But, this assumption and plan of Country X will not stand upright if the actual cause of the disease is NOT related to human or visitors of Y. Even though you do thousands health-checks you will not be able to stop the spread of the disease.

Let me know if that helps?

• 3 weeks later...

tublai,

Can you please explain as to why option B is not true.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. Let's take a look at the argument and try to find the reason, why Country X is concerned to implement the medical examination plan?

"The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year" - so, its just a mere speculation of Country X's media that led to a planning of medical exam for Country Y's visitor to Country X. Hence an assumption in built with this statement that people / human contacts / human activities are somehow related to this widespread disease and henceforth required all visitors of Y to submit a medical exam.

But, this assumption and plan of Country X will not stand upright if the actual cause of the disease is NOT related to human or visitors of Y. Even though you do thousands health-checks you will not be able to stop the spread of the disease.

Let me know if that helps?

good explanation.. i was going with B too.. But what you say sure makes sense...