Urch Forums

Paper export

praguish

Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source

Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?

(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year.

(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.

© Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.

(D) Demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year.

(E) Production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year.

I chose A but the OA is different. Can anyone pls explain

Thank you

Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source

(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year.

(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.

© Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.

(D) Demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year.

(E) Production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year.

Thank you

Conclusion: Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year.

Premise: the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source

IMPORTANT: Manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe will buy American wood pulp (not any wood pulp but only American wood pulp) from America rather than to buy from any other sources, from where they used to buy American wood pulp.

I think question is formed ambiguously. Premise should be "the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy wood pulp from America than to get it from any other source" instead of "the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source".

This change is critical to answer this question. As question is presented does not satisfy any of the answer choices but if we change the premise to "wood pulp from America" there will be certain possibility to answer this question.

@praguish: What is the source of this question?

IF premise is modified with "wood pulp from America", then answer choice A is wrong because:

A: If there is no increase in production but manufacturers switch their buying of wood pulp from other sources, they used to buy from, to America that will increase the export from America. Therefore no need to have an increase in production to justify the conclusion.

I chose B

ontheway ,

i agree with you one the difference between "American wood pulp" & "wood pulp from America" .

But if you see that statement mentioning American wood pulp together with the "Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year" , i feel that this difference is not reqd.

@powerthelogic: I do agree with your reasoning.

but writing first statement this way: "Exports of United States' American wood pulp will rise considerably during this year" will be awkward that is why second sentence should throw some light on the real meaning where it could not did and made the whole sentence ambiguous. I think, it's a minor point here but could make me choose another answer on real GAMT :)

Thank you

B is my option

B and C look equally good to me. I guess it is for questions like these when we can try apply logical negation. For those do not know what is logical negation it turns assumption question into a weaken question.

(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would NOT be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.

Certainly, if the quality is not suffice then price wouldnt matter. This one sure weakening the argument. GOOD.

© Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would NOT prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.

So, they wont buy if price did not matter. Does this weaken the conclusion/argument? I think NOT.

B is a better choice.

• 5 months later...

B certainly weakens the argument when negated....but guys I think c, when negated, weakens the argument equally well..

manufacturers will not prefer to buy American wood pulp even if cost were not a factor considerably weakens the argument that says that coz now cost is reduced manufacturers will buy.....no matter how much cost is reduced but manufacturers will not buy....

Both b and c are fine...i dn know what to choose....but seem to be equally good

it is B vs C...

now look at C... it is more towards inference of argument.

Argument already says that Manuf'er will buy American Pulp if cost is less... i.e. Export will rise if weak dollar.

but B is the assumption that manuf'er r ready to replace one pulp with other iff everything else remains the same (including Quality)