Sponsored Ad: (Join for no ads)

Thread: Internet-based companies

Good post? Yes | No

Internet-based companies

Sponsored Ad: (Join for no ads)
    Several internet-based companies that use open-source software for their day-to-day operations have been surprised at the degree to which volunteer contributions increase productivity. At the same time, the overall profits of most of these companies have increased, since a much smaller percentage of overall revenue per working hour must be directed toward salaries. Beginning internet companies should imitate this successful model by hiring only a small core staff and leaving the rest of the tasks to volunteers.
    The argument above that internet companies will increase profits by hiring fewer full-time employees is based on which of the following assumptions?

A. Internet companies that use open-source software are better suited to function efficiently with only a small core staff than traditional companies.
    B. The amount of administrative work to be performed in internet companies is small enough that it can reasonably be completed by fewer full-time employees.
    C. Full-time employees and volunteers will have different levels of access to most projects undertaken by the company.
    D. Internet companies will hire more full-time employees as they become more profitable due to volunteer contributions.
    E. Companies that rely on both full-time employees and volunteer labor increase their overall revenue per working hour.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    IMO : B
    Question :Assumption -companies will increase profits by hiring fewer full-time employees
    Tough one
    A. Internet companies that use open-source software are better suited to function efficiently with only a small core staff than traditional companies.
    B. The amount of administrative work to be performed in internet companies is small enough that it can reasonably be completed by fewer full-time employees.
    Establishes the feasibility that companies can function with fewer full time employees
    C. Full-time employees and volunteers will have different levels of access to most projects undertaken by the company.
    D. Internet companies will hire more full-time employees as they become more profitable due to volunteer contributions.
    E. Companies that rely on both full-time employees and volunteer labor increase their overall revenue per working hour.
    Close one-Since it refers to both full-time employees and volunteer labor and does not specifically point out the advantage of using fewer employees

Interesting to find Official Answer

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage powerthelogic's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    i feel E .
    B speaks about administrative work only . Even if administrative work is less , over all work can be very high so if B is assumed the conclusion fails.
    so i was not comfortable choosing B

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    I too am inclined towards B.
    But as powerthe logic says, the specification of type of work seems to be tricky... So E it is..

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    this looks tough to me....by the time I reached D I was exhausted and didnt even read E

But after reading again all the options including E....E looks best to me as well

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    I feel it should be E.

Good post? Yes | No
    Imo E

Thread Information