Urch Forums

Rounding Off Numbers

nitindewan

Hi,

Encountered this as a problem in one of the tests i was doing in princeton review :

If you are asked to round off - say 2.446 to 1 decimal places

is the answer simply 2.4

or is the answer 2.5 - as a result of "cumulative rounding" - i.e. round off 2.446 to 2.45 and then to 2.5 ....

The actual DS question used a square and a triangle in place of two digits and we were required to find out the digits.

What are therefore the rounding off rules followed by the folks at ETS ?

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, rounding-off should result in the best approximation (least error) to the actual value.

for example,

if you round off 2.446 to 1 decimal digit by "truncating", we have 2.4, the magnitude of the error being | 2.446 - 2.4 |= 0.046

on the other hand, if you round off using "cumulative rounding", we have 2.5, the magnitude of error being | 2.446 - 2.5 | = 0.054

So, I'd say the first one is correct. But that doesn't mean that "truncating" is always the better choice. This problem arises when you round x.x...4x to x.x...5.

If you have the time, plotting the numbers on a number line would be a good way:

2.4                                                                                                 2.5         
         x                                                                                                   x          
|         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |         |
|.........|.........|.........|.........|.........|.........|.........|.........|.........|.........|.........|.........|
                                                       ^   ^                                                            
                                                   2.446   2.45                                                         

you can clearly see which is the better approximation.

• 1 month later...