Urch Forums

Using papers and pens for rough calculation on GMAT tests

yauhoo

Hi all,

I am using Bob Miller's Math for the GMAT to learn my basic math concepts.

This book says no papers and pens are allowed for GMAT tests and candidates should do calculations in their heads.

I have just read the GMAT Information Bulletin and the document says during the GMAT test a candidate will be provided with Notepad and Marker.

Does that means we can do rough calculations with these Notepad and Marker?

This is confusing and important since it makes a big different if I can do rough calculations on paper rather than on my micro-sized brain.

Anyone with experience to share please?

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

I have already given my GMAT once and yes, you are given a notepad and a marker. So you can very easily do the calculations on the notepad.

I do have to say since GMAT is basically a race against time, I try to train my mind to do quick calculations mentally during prep. For instance, it is very beneficial to memorize and recall quickly the squares and multiplication tables instead of wasting time trying to sort out 12x12 on paper or 2 raise to 8 power. So train your mind to do calculations quickly without having to write them down, but deifnitely do so whenever you feel the need to.