Urch Forums

Hi, help me with this word problem please!

Sak

A merchant paid $300 for a shipment of x identical calculators. The merchant used 2 of the calculators as demonstrators and sold each of the others for $5 more than the average (arithmetic mean) cost of the x calculators. If the total revenue from the sale of the calculators was $120 more than the cost of the shipment, how many calculators were in the shipment

Thanks!

PS: I take the GMAT on April 15...in case that would get one a speedier solution :)

does it go like=> 420=(x-2)(avg price+5)

what is the average price??(cant be 300/x can it ? 300 is the shipment charge after all :()

oh tough question

I have tried to solve it ...but i am not sure

$300 = S.C

total items = x

(x-2) = total items sold

now , C.P of each = T.P (total cost price)

-------

X

S.P of each = (T.P/x + 5)........

Revenue = S.p - C.p = (x-2) * ((tp/x + 5) - tp/x) = 5*x - 10 = 420 (300 + 120)

so we get = 82........

HI

Initially if we consider cost of 1 caluclator it will be C = 300/x

Later the merchant sold x-2 caluclators at a cost of (300/x) + 5 which implies that Selling price of 1 caculator is S = [(300/x) + 5].

He sold x-2 calculators at a profit of 120 =>

(x-2)*S = 420

which means (300/x +5 )*(x-2)= 420 => x=30

He initially bought 30 calculators, at a cost of 10$ each and sold 28 calculators at 15$, from which he made a profit of 120$.

Cheers

The problem says that the merchant paid 300$ for shipment of x calculators which implies that the total cost price of x calculators is 300 (which is shipment cost + the actual cost of calculator). From Merhcant's perspective, the total Cost price of x calculators will still be 300.

Hope this helps

30 it is but i disagree with asnrk23, the statement nowhere implies that the shipment cost is the total cost. Given that GMAT Qs never throw curve ball at you, i am surprised to see this question coz it doesn't make sense in real life as well.

Agree that we have to go with that assumption and solve the problem.

30 it is but i disagree with asnrk23, the statement nowhere implies that the shipment cost is the total cost. Given that GMAT Qs never throw curve ball at you, i am surprised to see this question coz it doesn't make sense in real life as well.

Agree that we have to go with that assumption and solve the problem.

I too agree that question no where says that shipment cost is the total cost but it does say that merchant paid 300 for shipment of x calculators which does imply that it is the total cost unless and until specified exclusively that it is just the shipment cost.

• 2 weeks later...