Urch Forums

3-digit numbers

Ashie

Thanks Bullfighter. Yep, the answer is what you have given.

A small clarification - is it that we have to always find the number of Odd first, then do 100-48 to get the even? If we have to calculate even first, how do we do that? I know it's easier to find odd and then subtract from 100 to get even. But still would like to know how to go about the other way.

you can find either way, But, finding # even is not as simple as finding # odd. Here, we have to consider Two diff. cases. One when 0 is used at the last digit, & hence automatically can not be used at the 1st place. & the other one where 0 is Not used at the last place...

Even: For last digit: 0, 2, 4

1. Last digit: 2 & 4. Other left: 0,1,3,5.

4*4*2= 32

2. Last as 0. Other left: 1,2,3,4,5.

5*4*1= 20

Total= 52.

Odd= 100-52= 48.

for the original Q, How many number of 3 digit numbers can be formed with the digits 0,1,2,3,4,5 if no digit is repeated in any number?

Choices available:0,1,2,3,4,5. ie. Six in total.

1000'th digit can be filled in 5 ways (as 0 not allowed), now, repetition not allowed, hence left ar 5 digits, Hence, 100th digit can also be filled in 5 ways. Again, left are 4, hence Unit's digit can be filled in 4 ways.

Hence, total ways: 5*5*4 (Permutation)

for Odd. Unit's digit can be filled in 3 ways. (1,3,5 As Odd)

Left are 5 digits, again as 0 can not be used, for 1000th digit choices left are 4. (one used as Unit digit & also excluding 0, 6-2=4)

& for 100th digit, 2 already used, one at unit's place & one at 1000th place, laft are 4 choices.

Hence, 4*4*3

Similarly for Even, as shown above.

you can find either way, But, finding # even is not as simple as finding # odd. Here, we have to consider Two diff. cases. One when 0 is used at the last digit, & hence automatically can not be used at the 1st place. & the other one where 0 is Not used at the last place...

4*4*2= 32

5*4*1= 20

Total= 52.

Odd= 100-52= 48.

Thanks a bunch Bullfighter!

Hi bullfighter,

Thanks for ur explanation. However, Can u pls tell me why did u split the method of finding EVEN numbers into two parts. One where 0 is at the end & the other where it is not?

Y can we not consider it as one option - If it has to be even then the last digit should be any of the three 0,2,4.

so there are 3 possible ways for third digit,

4 for first

4 for second

what is wrong in this method?

I know the ans does not match ,it is just that I want to figure out what is missed in this approach

Can u pls help me out

thanks

adroja

4*4*2= 32

5*4*1= 20

Total= 52.

Odd= 100-52= 48.