Urch Forums

pls solve...

ladyp

On a Saturday night, each of the rooms at a certain motel was rented for either $40 or $60. If 10 of the rooms that were rented for $60 had instead been rented for $40, then the total rent the motel charged for that night would have been reduced by 25 percent. What was the total rent the motel actually charged for that night?

(A) $600

(B) $800

© $1,000

(D) $1,600

(E) $2,400

TIA

OA is B

Another way to think of it is this:

For each room that they change from 60 to 40, they lose $20. In this case, they changed it for 10 rooms, and thus lost 10 x 20 = 200 dollars. It tells us that they lost 25 percent by doing this, so we know that 200 dollars is 25% of the total. Thus, the total is 4 x 200 = 800

hey security geek can you please explain further. i get to the equation and some how i can not get 800 for the answer. :crazy:

So 40x + 60 y = T ( total)

As the the given condition

40 ( x+10) + 60 ( y-10) = 0.75T

Solving these two equations...you get T= 800

well on expanding the second one you get

40x+60y=.75T+200

so T=.75T+200 (as the left hand sides of both equations are equal, we equate the right hand sides to get this)

so .25t=200 and t=800

HTH

Another way to think of it is this:

For each room that they change from 60 to 40, they lose $20. In this case, they changed it for 10 rooms, and thus lost 10 x 20 = 200 dollars. It tells us that they lost 25 percent by doing this, so we know that 200 dollars is 25% of the total. Thus, the total is 4 x 200 = 800

ur good!

lol I never thought of it this way...does that mean i won't pass my GMAT exam,i am already freaking out,this is meant to be a very simple question...OH GOD! :crazy:

don't worry about it, you're fine, when I first started I was also rusty and noticing tricks such as that. Just do as many math problems as you can and you'll get better and more used to noticing such things:tup:

I Hope So,I wasn;t planning on studying,I didn't know u study for GMAT,I thought if u take the Powerprep GMAT that would be enough,if it wasn't for this forum,I prbably wud go without even knowing how the exam is taken...

Thanks guys :)