Urch Forums

finding an easy equation...

ladyp

A car dealer sold x used cars and y new cars during May. If the number of used cars sold was 10 greater than the number of new cars sold, which of the following expresses this relationship?

a) x > 10y

b) x > y + 10

c) x > y - 10

d) x = y + 10

e) x = y - 10

Reading this problem I was thinking, this is kinda of easy my equation was x=y+10 (1st choice) and then I saw x>y+10 (2nd choice) and I picked it. Why was mine second choice wrong?

TIA

OA = D

the greater than sign is wrong because its given in clear terms that the number of used was 10 greater than new..

it would make sense,that greater than sign, IF it were just x>y. thats true, cos you sell more used cars than you sell new cars.but the exact relation has been already given here so its not an inequality at all..

try reading it again..the question i mean..maybe im not putting myself across very well:blush:

look, it would be an inequality if they hadnt given the number 10. then, you would just know that he sold more used cars than new, but you wouldnt know by how much or by what percent.

here, however, he gives it to you, that 10 more used cars have been sold.

is it clear now?

:)