Urch Forums

Problems similar to the actual GMAT

A lot of people asked me what kind of probability problems I got on the actual exam. Since I signed a non disclosure agreement, I can't reveal the actual questions, but following are two permutation/combinations- probability problems similar to the ones I got on the real GMAT.

1. There is a set of characters, A B C D E F G H I J K. There are 4 character and 3 character codes to be made out of these characters. What is the ratio of the total number possibilities of the 4 character codes to the total possibilities of the 3 character codes?

2. There are 6 red balls and 3 blue balls in a bag. 2 red balls are taken out. What is the possibility that the next ball taken out will be a red ball? ( Yeah, they are that simple)

Sure. First the formula : nPk = n!/(n-k)!. I assume you already knew that but it bears repeating.

So 11P4 = 11!/7! = 11 x 10 x 9 x 8

And one has to use permutations instead of combinations because (as explained earlier), even if the same alphabets are picked (say A, B, C) they can be arranged in different ways. Ie whenever "order" matters, use permutations.

HTH.

rd_eastbay, 11P4 I know how to solve combinations but not sure of permutations will appreciate if you could explain a bit about solving such permutaions

1- 11*10*9*8/11*10*9 = 8

2- 4/7

Yes, from my experience, this is pretty much the standard of prob/comb/perm Qs on the GMAT. No matter which range your in, it wont get more difficult than this. Don't work too much on these questions, you'll waste valuable time that can be used to enhance other skills for the GMAT. This is pretty much as hard as it gets.

Lego / Security,

Any examples of the algebra/number-thoery problems. While conceptually not hard, I find these real difficult to get right under time pressure. I am sure many other people feel the same way...

1- 11*10*9*8/11*10*9 = 8

2- 4/7

Yes, from my experience, this is pretty much the standard of prob/comb/perm Qs on the GMAT. No matter which range your in, it wont get more difficult than this. Don't work too much on these questions, you'll waste valuable time that can be used to enhance other skills for the GMAT. This is pretty much as hard as it gets.

• 5 months later...

1. There is a set of characters, A B C D E F G H I J K. There are 4 character and 3 character codes to be made out of these characters. What is the ratio of the total number possibilities of the 4 character codes to the total possibilities of the 3 character codes?

Sorry for waking up the dead, but i believe the answer to the first question should be 11:1.. and not 8:1 for the following reasons

a) # of 4 character permutations:= 11*11*11*11 ( AAAA is acceptable code, nowhere it mentions that characters cant be repeated)

similarly # of 3 character codes = 11^3

so the ratio is 11:1

b) another approach, once again considering that duplicate characters are allowed..

# of 4 character codes = (# of choices for the 4th character) * (# of 3 character codes)..

we have 11 choices so.. its again 11:1

though I agree that if duplicates are not allowed, the ratio has to be 8:1

Hope I am not wrong. I am taking the test in 2 days :), that said, any magic potions for Verbal ;)

• 3 weeks later...
1. 11c4*41 : 11c3*3!

2. 4/7

Why are you multiplying the combinations by 4! and 3! respectively?

I believe the solution is simply 11C4 / 11C3.

Ashayxyz, I see your point, but the feeling I get from the question is that letters are not to be duplicated. Of course, if "8:1" and "11:1" both show up in the answer choices... we're screwed. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for waking up the dead, but i believe the answer to the first question should be 11:1.. and not 8:1 for the following reasons

a) # of 4 character permutations:= 11*11*11*11 ( AAAA is acceptable code, nowhere it mentions that characters cant be repeated)

b) another approach, once again considering that duplicate characters are allowed..

# of 4 character codes = (# of choices for the 4th character) * (# of 3 character codes)..

Hope I am not wrong. I am taking the test in 2 days :), that said, any magic potions for Verbal ;)

--------------

Securitygeek, what do you think about Akshayxyz's post? I think he's got a valid point.

Cheers!

I think ETS will not give 11 in one of the answer choices..As the problem is not that clear about repetetions part. (Afterall its a problem solving Question. So go with the answers)

If they give 11 and 8 as answer choices then it will raise a conflict..I think they either give 8 or 11 as answer choices(not both)

What do u say securitygeek?????

hey akshayxyz;

first of all your solution is wrong because when you do this in your way ; 11*11*11*11 => solution set includes 4 AAAA and 4 BBBB and so on. Understand. So if we solve the problem in your way we need to substract 11 X 3 from our solution set. and the answer becomes something like that:

(11^4-33)\(11^3-22) .... and the solution is not even a integer...

I think this is a perm question and the real answer must be 8:1 ...

we don't know about the choices but probably your solution is

Guys,

Akshay is correct.

We use permutation and combination formulas when choosing the 2nd number is dependent on the 1st number.

The answer should be 11.

Let me give you a simple example.

How many 4 digit key codes can we make using numbers from 0-9. We all know that 0-9999 is 10,000 numbers right ?

10*10*10*10 = 10,000.

Now doing 10P5 = 5040 codes.

I hope this clears up the confusion

• 2 weeks later...

When I started reading this post I was so surprised to how so many ppl are finalizing answer 8.

It has to be 11.

4 Char codes I can make in ..11 * 11 * 11 * 11

3 Char codes I can make in ..11 * 11 * 11

Ratio is 11.

One suggestion to all... don't always fall in trap of formulaes to PROB Qs. You may apply common sense and you will be through!

Good Luck!

When I started reading this post I was so surprised to how so many ppl are finalizing answer 8.

It has to be 11.

4 Char codes I can make in ..11 * 11 * 11 * 11

3 Char codes I can make in ..11 * 11 * 11

Ratio is 11.

One suggestion to all... don't always fall in trap of formulaes to PROB Qs. You may apply common sense and you will be through!

Good Luck!

so you are the new math professor ha :crazy::boxing:

• 1 year later...