Urch Forums

height/time question: Real gmat question?

zzhop

Take the derivative of y with respect to t to find WHEN the object reaches max ht.

after that plug in t+1 for t to find where it reaches in ht.

So in the above eqn, y is max when dy/dt=0

ie

dy/dt = -16(2)(t-3) + 0 = 0 ==> t = 3

no substitute t = 4 in above eqn to get -16(1) + 150 = 134.

Whats the OA?

So answer should be C - 135

Sorry C: 134

(my fingers are too stubby for this mac keyboard)

I agree with all the solutions that have been given here. But I would like to add another way of viewing the equation, which might be helpful for some other people.

There are two terms in the equation: "-16 (t - 3)^2" and "+150" ... just observe that the first term will always be negative, no matter what the value of "t" ... so to max the value of the expression we have to minimise the value of this negative term that will be reduced from "+150" ... and this min value is 0 ... got by making t=3 ... so ... there you go ... two essential values are obtained in one step .... i.e ... max height is 150 and it is attained at t=3. Now all that one has to do is add the required time duration to t=3 and substitute it back into the eq which would be t=3+1 in this case.

Slightly off the topic:

Personally, I think the problems given on the GMAT will rarely expect us to differentiate/integrate any expression. And I think that the expressions are also limited to quadratic ones at max. So its good to remember the curve that one would obtain when a quadratic eq is plotted. The curve is some form of a symmetric parabola. Which means that the value of "y" reduces, reaches a min and then increases or vice-versa ... i.e ... value of "y" increases, reaches a max and then reduces.

Trying to see if this concept has any relevance when you encounter problem with a quadratic eq can help in a lot of situations.