Urch Forums

Men-women hired by a company

Makumajon

A company hires 80% of men who apply to work in department A, and 30% of the men who apply to work in department B. The company also hires 70% of the women who apply for department A, and 20% of the women who apply for department B. If the same total number of men and women apply each year, which of the following must be true?

I: More men than women are hired.

II: More than 50% of men who apply are hired.

III: Less than 60% of women who apply are hired.

• I only must be true
  • I and II only must be true
  • I and III only must be true
  • I, II and III must all be true
  • None of I, II, and III must be true

Ans should be B - I and II only must be true

I follows from the statement that same total number of men and women apply each year and considering the % of the people hired.

II follows from the total hiring of men as 80% for Dept A and 30% for Dept B, which cumulatively turns out more than 50 %

III will not be true since cumulative for Women is lesser than 50%

Whats the OA?

If the same total number of men and women apply each year

this means

total number of men = total number of women ??

or

total number of men + total number of women in Year X = total number of men + total number of women in Year Y ??

I think latter will add no meaning to the question.

The statement in the end of the question says, "If the same total number of men and women apply each year". I understand with this - If x is the total number of men applying for a particular year, then x again is the no. of women applying for same year.

Considering this the options I and II will follow.

OA Please?

The statement in the end of the question says, "If the same total number of men and women apply each year". I understand with this - If x is the total number of men applying for a particular year, then x again is the no. of women applying for same year.

Considering this the options I and II will follow.

OA Please?

What about number of men and women applying for Dept A & B. That can be diffrerent, isn't it?

You got the catch?

Thanks for the details. But am still not able to convince myself due to the reason: "When the work Total number of Men and Women is same" doesnt this mean that total for for both the departments?

If OA doesnt match my understanding, I think there are lot more things that I need to improve upon :-)