Urch Forums

RC Strategy, help me craft out a master strategy for the RC

I need some help to make a very good strategy for the RC section of the GMAT. So feel free to post your strategy and we can discuss which is best.

So far my strategy has been pretty simple.

Read the first couple of lines from each paragraph to try and get the gist of things, then read the questions and refer back to the passage to look for clues. This works well with specific questions but not so much with general questions or inference, and assumption questions. What am I doing wrong here.

Please feel free to post your strategies and advice. Thanks.

Help me go from :hmm: to :grad:

• 4 weeks later...

I think that skimming the paragraph only works on simple question. Instead, I prefer to read the whole passage. The reason most of us struggle with this is because we read incorrectly. One way to improve reading is to try not to say the words silently in your head. We want to read at the speed we think not at the speed we talk. I have designed a series of javascript exercises to achieve this. I posted them on my blog here:

GMAT READING: The Definitive Guide | The 800 Gmat Blog

Thanks I've done a couple of the speed reading exercises from various books before, so i know im a faster than i was last year. and when i say skimming i really mean reading the headlines and skimming the examples or explanations till i see the questions. such as when a passage talks about say hmm soldering and then they ramble on explaining what soldering means and its history, the history part i up my speed reading where i just look at the words very quickly. so i know what it says but not to extreme detail i usually leave that until i need it again when i come accross a question asking about it. i probably should have said speed reading cause in essence thats what im doing.