Urch Forums

ideal time for solving RCs

FiF for GMAT

I was having problems with my timing as well. Did some analysis and came up with a strategy which I am tring to perfect now. I try not to spend more minutes than twice the number of questions on a given RC. If there are 3 questions I spend max. 6 minutes and so on.

Out of the total time allocated for a given RC, I give less than half the time to reading /taking notes. For example, if there are 4 questions i.e total time 8 min therefore reading/note taking time is approx. 3-3.5min.

This seems to be working well for me. However, I am not too sure if taking notes after reading is worth the time!!! Would appreciate some comments from the group on this.

• 1 month later...

depending on the subject matter of teh RC..we need to adapt

this is what i keep doing -

for BIOLOGY - I spend 1 -1 1/2 min. on skimming..i.e. just read the first 3 lines of every paragraph and straightaway proceed to questions..keep referring back...finishing the passage in 7-8 MINS.

for HISTORY, ASTRONOMY,TECHNOLOGY - 2 Mins for reading..i tend to read carefully whenever i encounter GENERIC SENTENCES (as opposed to specific detail)..then start answering based on understanding..with initial knowledge, i tend to eliminate WRONG answer choices..then if i Cannot get through..i tend to refer back.

for MANAGEMENT THEORY, ART, PHILOSOPHY - 2-3 mins..READ very carefully...understand..the full implication of atleast the GENERIC sentences and attack questions...and keep referrign back..most of these tend to use words in quotes..so referring back is unavoidable..

My overall accuracy has only been 60%..I tend to get atleast 1/2 Qs wrong...there must be some OTHER strategy to spot the correct asnwer that cannot be done by just referrign back..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...