Urch Forums

In contrast to......

crazy800

In contrast to the symphonies of Haydn, a much freer use of dissonance is evident in the symphonies of Mahler.

A. In contrast to the symphonies of Haydn, a much freer use of dissonance is evident in the symphonies of Mahler.

B. In contrast with Haydn's symphonies, Mahler uses dissonance much more freely.

C. In contrast to those of Haydn, the symphonies of Mahler demonstrate a much more free use of dissonance.

D. In contrast to Haydn's symphonies, Mahler's demonstrate a much freer use of dissonance.

E. In contrast with Haydn's symphonies, those of Mahler use dissonance much more freely

We can discard A and B because both of those lack the rule of comparison. But in C,D and E..."much more free", "much freer" and "much more freely"----which one is best??

OA is D

C is ruled out because free is a short adj so its comparative pattern should be freer rather than more free.

Between D and E. I think D is better although I cannot bring a clear explanation.

I see E a little changes the meaning and when you use " use something much more freely" you should say " much more freely than..." rather than " in contrast with".

C is ruled out because free is a short adj so its comparative pattern should be freer rather than more free.

Between D and E. I think D is better although I cannot bring a clear explanation.

I see E a little changes the meaning and when you use " use something much more freely" you should say " much more freely than..." rather than " in contrast with".

Don't you feel that D contrasts Haydn's symphonies with mahler rather than with Mahler's symphonies.

• 2 weeks later...
there are so many notes litttered with the concept -compare is used to liken things and compare with is used to stress the difference. Here are 'nt we saying that one symp differs with another.

So isnt compare to wrong here?

compare to and compare with are both correct idioms and their usage in spidey's notes is correct

compare X to Y

compare X with Y

But here we used IN CONTRAST TO X, Y

why? look at the construction of the sentence

firslty, it will usually be in be in the start of the sentence and secondly there wont be anything in between the idiom just read the examples in the spidey's note and then compare it with this question