Urch Forums

When swimming is not fun

vikram_k51

Can an expert weigh in on A, B & D and tell us what's wrong with the incorrect options out of these. I can easily see myself using either of those in spoken english. Of course that doesn't mean its right but I'd like to think that just because something is awkward doesn't mean its wrong.

hi John

can u plz give some examples where gerunds are always preferred over infinitives in GMAT ?

Yes, I think that it depends on the context of sentences.

Since both gerund and present participle takes a form of Verb+ing, I had a hard time differentiate them. This is what I have learned so far.

in a nutshell, gerund is used as a noun meanwhile present participle is used as a adjective. please take a look at these two following examples.

1) gerund

a sleeping car = a car for sleeping

a sleeping child = a child who is sleeping

2) present participle

a waiting room = a room for waiting

a waiting lady = a lady who is waiting

gerund is used to describe purpose, whereas present participle is used to describe the state or action.

hope to share.:D

Yes, I think that it depends on the context of sentences.

Since both gerund and present participle takes a form of Verb+ing, I had a hard time differentiate them. This is what I have learned so far.

in a nutshell, gerund is used as a noun meanwhile present participle is used as a adjective. please take a look at these two following examples.

1) gerund

a sleeping car = a car for sleeping

a sleeping child = a child who is sleeping

2) present participle

a waiting room = a room for waiting

a waiting lady = a lady who is waiting

gerund is used to describe purpose, whereas present participle is used to describe the state or action.

hope to share.:D

IMO your definitions are right but examples ain't. Sleeping in your case is a participle. Sleeping is an adjective in both of your gerund examples. Correct gerund examples would be..

drinking a glass of water a day can keep you healthy

seeing is believing

Here's an expert analysis on this one

good challenge question (swimming)

Swimming is a gerund in this case. Not sure of the confusion, yes, someone did say, gerunds are preferably over infinitive (to swim) and thus it is the right answer. I was referencing "mitzi's" earlier assertion that sleeping is a gerund coz IMO it is not, it is a participle.