Urch Forums

Verb agreement

sushant

sushant,

1. when u use 'and' and both subjects of the compound subject refer to the same thing, it takes a 'singular' form.

e.g., Bacon and eggs is not good for heart. (here 'bacon and eggs' is considered one unit)

e.g., The red, white and blue flutters on the capitol hill (here, it is refering to only one thing, i.e., the US flag)

e.g., The president and CEO of the company is fired.

2. When 'and' is used as part of compound subject with the subjects being two different things, the sentence needs to have 'plural' verb...

e.g., Chemistry and Engineering are prerequisites.

e.g., The president and the CEO of the organization are fired. (Compare this sentence to the last example in 1; This sentence has 'the' before CEO and thus makes the two people different. Therefore, plural 'are'. However, in the earlier example of 1, it refers to only one person (president and CEO, both being the same person) and therefore singular 'is'.

3. A compound subject with a 'singular' and 'plural' subject, when joined by 'or' or 'nor', the 'verb' should agree with the 'nearest subject'

e.g., Usually, either the secretaries or the hiring manager calls the prospective employer.

In your example, it should be...

Little water or few services exist.

HTH and further suggestions and comments are welcome...

• 6 months later...
sushant,

1. when u use 'and' and both subjects of the compound subject refer to the same thing, it takes a 'singular' form.

e.g., Bacon and eggs is not good for heart. (here 'bacon and eggs' is considered one unit)

e.g., The red, white and blue flutters on the capitol hill (here, it is refering to only one thing, i.e., the US flag)

e.g., The president and CEO of the company is fired.

2. When 'and' is used as part of compound subject with the subjects being two different things, the sentence needs to have 'plural' verb...

e.g., Chemistry and Engineering are prerequisites.

e.g., The president and the CEO of the organization are fired. (Compare this sentence to the last example in 1; This sentence has 'the' before CEO and thus makes the two people different. Therefore, plural 'are'. However, in the earlier example of 1, it refers to only one person (president and CEO, both being the same person) and therefore singular 'is'.

3. A compound subject with a 'singular' and 'plural' subject, when joined by 'or' or 'nor', the 'verb' should agree with the 'nearest subject'

e.g., Usually, either the secretaries or the hiring manager calls the prospective employer.

In your example, it should be...

Little water or few services exist.

HTH and further suggestions and comments are welcome...

Can anyone please comment on blue & red portions.

Blue colored portion seems awkward to me.

And red one seems wrong to me.

I have an understanding that Only "and" can create a plural subject

so it should be

Little water or few services exists

I think there are certain phrases that can be used as singular, even though they have a co-ordinating conjunction connecting them.

We say : This is bread and butter for me (Not These are bread and butter for me)

So, such phrases would be correctly used in their singular form.