Urch Forums

Subject Verb Agreement

shaq

City Planners in Detroit hope that the renewal project extending along the eastern riverfront will establish a population that lives and works downtown and also provides the office space needed to attract new businesses.

• that lives and works downtown and also provides
  • to live and work downtown and also provide
  • that lives as well as works downtown and also provide
  • which lives as well as works downtown and also provides
  • who live as well as work downtown and also provides

Can someone help me with this question:hmm:

City Planners in Detroit hope that the renewal project extending along the eastern riverfront will establish a population that lives and works downtown and also provides the office space needed to attract new businesses.

A. that lives and works downtown and also provides

B. to live and work downtown and also provide

C. that lives as well as works downtown and also provide

D. which lives as well as works downtown and also provides

E. who live as well as work downtown and also provides

I think THAT and WHO are modifying population and therefore are acceptable usages.

WHICH I dont think is correct in this case so eliminated D

Since population is singular, I selected the verb form LIVES and WORKS thereby eliminating choices E and B. And from my understanding of the question

the renewal project ...... will establish ..... and also provides

Since project is singular I chose provides (Answer A), but the correct answer was C.

renewal project ...... will establish ..... and also provide

So I am confused.........

"a population that lives" seems perfectly fine to me.

In B - "establish a population to live and work downtown.." suggests that the renewal project would establish the population TO LIVE, which doesn't seem very sensible. It would have been different had it been - "establish a population to BOTH live and work downtown".

On the other hand "population that lives as well as works downtown" makes appropriate use of "as well as" to join "lives" and "works" without producing any awkwardness.

I would vote for C.

Choice A introduces a TENSE ISSUE. "the renewal project will establish a population that lives and works downtown and also provides the office space ..."

On the one hand it says - the renewal project WILL ESTABLISH (future tense) and on the other it says - and also PROVIDES (Present tense). This is incorrect. We need to use Provide to convey the idea that the event will happen at some point in future.

How can a population provide "the office space needed to attract new businesses."? Don't you think the project would provide the same?

I don't see any reason why C would be the answer ( lives...works... provide!).

Sum - in my explanation I have mentioned project not population.

Thanks

How can a population provide "the office space needed to attract new businesses."? Don't you think the project would provide the same?

I don't see any reason why C would be the answer ( lives...works... provide!).

Sum - in my explanation I have mentioned project not population.

Shaq - Yes, that's why it's a quite a bit of a juggling of concepts to contend with before you get to final answer.

Thanks

• that lives and works downtown and also provides
  • to live and work downtown and also provide
  • that lives as well as works downtown and also provide
  • which lives as well as works downtown and also provides
  • who live as well as work downtown and also provides

Can someone help me with this question:hmm:

It can be solved quickly by POE:

A. Incorrect : Seems to suggest that it is the population that provides the office space..

B. Incorrect : "to live" seems to be a verb for the project and sounds wrong.

C. Correct : "will ... also provide" has a correct subject to verb agreement

D. Incorrect : Seems to suggest that it is the population that provides the office space..

E. Incorrect: who..live is incorrect, also provide is not a correct subject verb agreement.

Read the following:

City Planners in Detroit hope that the renewal project extending along the eastern riverfront will establish (a population that lives as well as works downtown) and {will} also provide the office space needed to attract new businesses.

"The subject is "the renewal project" which is singular, so the verb should also be singular"

Not necessarily...

The company provides many services to its employees as part of an excellent benefits program.

The question is a tense issue (a tricky question--I missed it when I read it).

"will establish a population AND also provide...."

not

"will establish a population and also provides..."

How about this:

City Planners hope that the renewal project will establish a population that lives and works downtown and also provides the office space.

It actually sounds like the population will provide the office space.

Great question, I would've missed this on the real test.

"The subject is "the renewal project" which is singular, so the verb should also be singular"

Not necessarily...

The company provides many services to its employees as part of an excellent benefits program.

The question is a tense issue (a tricky question--I missed it when I read it).

"will establish a population AND also provide...."

not

"will establish a population and also provides..."

How about this:

City Planners hope that the renewal project will establish a population that lives and works downtown and also provides the office space.

It actually sounds like the population will provide the office space.

Great question, I would've missed this on the real test.

And your point is ?

My point is that your explanation isn't accurate for THIS particular sentence so I didn't want anyone to be confused.

My extended explanation was for ice t, not you abhishek_jha; ice t was asking why the correct answer doesn't work with rule.

Thanks

• 1 month later...