Urch Forums

"InterCom Financial Advisers" and "new consultant treats his clients"

1. If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have anticipated, or even suspected, the impending sale of the Koniko kelp processing plant, they would have advised owners of Koniko stock to unload all shares immediately.

(A) If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have anticipated

(B) Had anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers anticipated

© If any people at InterCom Financial Advisers would have anticipated

(D) If any people at InterCom Financial Advisers had anticipated

(E) If anybody at InterCom Financial Advisers anticipated

I chose here B. Correct answer is D.

- Why B is wrong?

- When to start the sentence with 'Had' and when to use 'If... had' ? Because in both the cases, then next sentence uses "would Have".

- also, the usage of 'any people' is correct, as used in D?

Erin, can you please throw some light on this?

2. For some reason the new consultant treats his clients like idiots, talking to them like they were mentally deficient and incapable of understanding more than the simplest ideas.

(A) like idiots, talking to them like they

(B) as if they were idiots, talking to them like they

© like idiots, talking to them as if they

(D) as idiots, talking to them like they

(E) like idiots who

I chose E here. Correct answer is C.

I think E changes the meaning, but what sense? Please explain, why E is wrong.

Regards,

JamesBond

1. If anyone at InterCom Financial Advisers would have anticipated, or even suspected, the impending sale of the Koniko kelp processing plant, they would have advised owners of Koniko stock to unload all shares immediately.

- Why B is wrong?

- When to start the sentence with 'Had' and when to use 'If... had' ? Because in both the cases, then next sentence uses "would Have".

2. For some reason the new consultant treats his clients like idiots, talking to them like they were mentally deficient and incapable of understanding more than the simplest ideas.

(E) like idiots who

I chose E here. Correct answer is C.

I think E changes the meaning, but what sense? Please explain, why E is wrong.

Regards,

JamesBond

I think in the broadest sense, leaving out "talking to them" seems to completely change the original sentence. You now have no idea that the guy was talking to someone like idiots...you just have the guy treating clients like idiots who were mentally deficient.

Q1.

I don't find any difference between B and D.

Someone please explian.

Q2.

C) like idiots, talking to them as if they were mentally deficient and incapable of understanding more than the simplest ideas

E) like idiots who were mentally deficient and incapable of understanding more than the simplest ideas

Meaning is entirely different.

- Why B is wrong?

Aha, this is a good one...A classic case of placing the noun and its referent as far as possible...

In this particular case, the sentence beginning with 'had' or 'if' has no bearing...It is good that u have narrowed it down to B and D. Now D is the correct choice, because in the non-underlined portion, u have 'they' which is referring to more than one person. In B, anyone is singular, whereas choice D, has the plural subject 'any people'.

• Like 1

• 2. For some reason the new consultant treats his clients like idiots, talking to them like they were mentally deficient and incapable of understanding more than the simplest ideas.

- Second like is followed by verb. Like is a preposition which can't have a verb

- same as A

- correct

same as in A

(E) like idiots who

- Changes meaning

Aha, this is a good one...A classic case of placing the noun and its referent as far as possible...

In this particular case, the sentence beginning with 'had' or 'if' has no bearing...It is good that u have narrowed it down to B and D. Now D is the correct choice, because in the non-underlined portion, u have 'they' which is referring to more than one person. In B, anyone is singular, whereas choice D, has the plural subject 'any people'.

OHH.. I SEE...

THANKS A LOT TRANSYT7!

Too good explanation. I too missed the 'they'.

I learned new thing that ' any people' is valid noun and also a plural one. I was not aware of it. The reason I rejected D was due to 'any people' noun, which I thought is not valid one.

Q. Carpenters, dentists, sewing machine operators, needlepointers, piano players, and indeed anyone who works with their hands for long hours can get carpal tunnel syndrome.

(A) anyone who works

(B) anyone working

© workers

(D) those for whom work is

(E) any people who work

This is one more example, in which I have rejected 'E' because of 'any people' noun and have chosen C for plural referent 'their' down the line, as all other were singular. But the correct answer is E.

Thanks again!

JamesBond007

• 7 months later...