Urch Forums

Any body met this nasty SC before?

bigp

For many travelers, charter vacations often turn out to cost considerably more than they originally seemed.

(A) they originally seemed

(B) they originally seem to

© they seemingly would cost originally

(D) it seemed originally

(E) it originally seemed they would

Two unofficial answer for this question. (A) & (E)

what do you guys think?

For many travelers, charter vacations often turn out to cost considerably more

than they originally seemed

( we are refering to the cost of the charter vacations)

If we did not have they we would have replaced the same by:

more than the costs seemed.

A) they originally seemed

(B) they originally seem to

© they seemingly would cost originally

(D) it seemed originally

(E) it originally seemed they would

So I eliminate options A B and C.

Between d and E.

I go for E.

Pls post the Oa and spiderman, Ursula,shaq pls contribute your views.

Quoting myself from Sentence Correction:

I vote for E.

I think only E is grammatically correct.

a. they originally seemed to

b. they originally seemed to

c. they seemingly? would cost originally?

d. it seemed originally that they would

e. it originally seemed (that) they would (cost).

This is a good start. For instance, B would need to be in past tense, seemed. In fact, I often teach GMAT and TOEFL students that the words original (and its derivations) and first usually require past tense.

Furthermore, the "past future" of would in E is more precise than the simple past in A (or that B is lacking, in case you're going to ask if B would be correct if we changed seem to seemed). Since we're talking about something we'd learn after a certain point in the past, would is better.

For example:

• This Acura is a lot better than I thought it would be.

is better than

• This Acura is a lot better than I thought it was.

In the first example, we are saying that something turned out to be true. In the second example, we are saying that we were not aware of a fact that was true at that time.

And in the charter vacations question, there is no fact that the travelers were unaware of when they purchased the charter vacation--after the original purchase of the charter vacation (and probably toward the end of the vacation), the charter vacation turned out to be more costly than they had at first believed it would be.

• 3 months later...
Quoting myself from Sentence Correction:

This is a good start. For instance, B would need to be in past tense, seemed. In fact, I often teach GMAT and TOEFL students that the words original (and its derivations) and first usually require past tense.

Furthermore, the "past future" of would in E is more precise than the simple past in A (or that B is lacking, in case you're going to ask if B would be correct if we changed seem to seemed). Since we're talking about something we'd learn after a certain point in the past, would is better.

For example:

• This Acura is a lot better than I thought it would be.

is better than

• This Acura is a lot better than I thought it was.

In the first example, we are saying that something turned out to be true. In the second example, we are saying that we were not aware of a fact that was true at that time.

And in the charter vacations question, there is no fact that the travelers were unaware of when they purchased the charter vacation--after the original purchase of the charter vacation (and probably toward the end of the vacation), the charter vacation turned out to be more costly than they had at first believed it would be.

So whts your pick erin?

• 1 year later...