Urch Forums

child care

1. Child care already a solid part of the employee benefits package at many companies, more businesses are focusing on a newer family benefit known as elder care, servicing for older dependents.

(A) Child care

(B) With child care

© Child care as

(D) Being the Child care wasB

(E) With child care’s being

what's wrong with A?

A) Child care already a solid part of the employee benefits package at many companies, more businesses are focusing on a newer family benefit known as elder care, servicing for older dependents

It appears that the Child care is more business. Actually the bluish part act as an aposition of "more business" and that is not correct

B is an example of absolute phrase. I saw the option, which uses absolute phrase is almost always correct

thank you for the explanation but still I have some doubts

I read the explanation on this site about absolute phrases and it seems to me that the blue part in A is also an absolute phrase (http://www.testmagic.com/grammar/explanations/phrases/absolute-phrases-introduction.asp)

so, by adding "with", the meaning changes I guess..

I didn't understand the diference in meaning between A and B?

thank you for the explanation but still I have some doubts

I read the explanation on this site about absolute phrases and it seems to me that the blue part in A is also an absolute phrase (http://www.testmagic.com/grammar/explanations/phrases/absolute-phrases-introduction.asp)

so, by adding "with", the meaning changes I guess..

I didn't understand the diference in meaning between A and B?

"With" is sometimes optional in absolute phrase. But here "with" is required. Without "with" the sentence will become absurd as in A. In A, Child care = more business