goal of education reformers and many states in the 1970's, has

not significantly reduced the gaps existing between the richest

and poorest districts.

A. has not significantly reduced the gaps existing

B. has not been significant in reducing the gap that exists

C. has not made a significant reduction in the gap that exists

D. have not significantly reduced the gap that exists

E. have not been significant in a reduction of the gaps existing

Here, shouldn't we consider the first phrase as the Subject Phrase?

OA is D

'Efforts to equalize the funds available to school districts, a major goal....".

The phrase here is considered as a single noun (a major goal). In that case, don't I have to take 'has' instead of 'have'. Please correct me if I am missing something.

'Efforts to equalize the funds available to school districts, a major goal....".

The phrase here is considered as a single noun (a major goal). In that case, don't I have to take 'has' instead of 'have'. Please correct me if I am missing something.

major goal was to put efforts. This doesn't mean that subject is singular. major goal doesn't reduce the gap, its efforts which reduce the gap.

D is the best choice. Any thoughts?

This is a typical subject-verb agreement test question.

Note that "a major goal of education reformers and many states in the 1970's" is a modifying phrase. The sentence can stand on its own without this phrase. The modifying phrase introduces a singular noun/subject (goal) that tends to undermine the significance of the actual noun/subject (Efforts). It is a good approach to eliminate the modifying phrase and to see what the subject really is and make sure that the verb follows the subject of the main clause and not that of the modifying phrase/clause.

HTH

• 7 years later...