Urch Forums

Sc 1,000 #22

22. A recent national strudy of the public schools shows that there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were four years ago.

A)

B) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were

C) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as manay as there were

D) every thirty-two pupils now have one computer, four times as many then there were

E) every thirty-two pupils now has one computer, four times as many as

C, why? I get confused with there is / there were

Shouldn't "there is" match "there was" instead of "there were" in C?

In another word, "There is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as manay as there WAS four years ago".

© makes it "There is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many as there WERE four years ago"

C seems to be the best option.

But divnamite, you are right. I am too not sure whether usage of 'were' is correct.

It might depend upon the meaning of the sentence. As I understand, there were 1/4 computers per 32 people four years ago. Possibly, for any value other than 1 we cannot use 'was'.

>Shouldn't "there is" match "there was" instead of "there were" in C?

>In another word, "There is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two >pupils, four times as manay as there WAS four years ago".

>© makes it "There is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, >four times as many as there WERE four years ago"

Expl: The phrase "four times as many as there" is referring to the pupils and not to the microcomputers and hence "were" is correct. It is modifying the nearest subject.