Urch Forums

Wild animals..pls provide explanations

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be

total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be

total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

I'm uncomfortable with all the choices and look to a hybrid answer - one that incorporates (A)'s less total fat than do etc (as compared to ©'s than that of - not sure if its used right here).

I would use it in a sentence like total fat of wild animals is less than that of livestock fed on grain.

And the second part with "thought to be" without any "they"s inside.

OA?

I think comparison is not parallel.

'that of' is required to show that 'fats of' the livestock.

which do you think is correct of the two.

1) X has less fat than Y

2) X has less fat than Y has OR X has less fat than Y does

I think second pair is correct coz' we are comparing fats with the fats.

In another example, we see that

Joe has 3 pairs of books more than John - not correct

Joe has 3 pairs of books more than John does - correct

Any comments pls?

• 4 weeks later...
According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be

total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be

total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

a - They has no antecedent

b - Incorrect comparison of fat to livestock

c - Incorrect usage of that - But the best option among the five

d - Wrong comparison. Also, the usage of 'total fat of wild animals'. 'Total fat in wild animals' would be correct. 'Total fat of wild animals' gives me an impression that we are talking about the total fat of all wild animals ??

e - less in , than that of. Incorrect. Plus the pb mentioned above.

Da_Gr8_Mperor, Kindly let us know the source of the question. Thanks

go for C..

'that' is necessary..

"That" is not only unnecessary, but wrong.

When a comparison includes "than that of" the word "that" refers to a specific noun. For example, in the following sentence:

The population of California is greater than that of New York.

..."that" stands in for "the population." The sentence can also be written:

The population of California is greater than the population of New York.

In choice C of the item under discussion:

wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain

...what does "that" stand in for?

The problem with this item is that there is no good answer choice. What is the source? I'm sure it's not a real GMAT question.

The sentence should be something like this:

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and that of meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more fat of a kind thought to be good for cardiac health.

• Like 1

"That" is not only unnecessary, but wrong.

When a comparison includes "than that of" the word "that" refers to a specific noun. For example, in the following sentence:

..."that" stands in for "the population." The sentence can also be written:

The population of California is greater than the population of New York.

In choice C of the item under discussion:

wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain

...what does "that" stand in for?

The problem with this item is that there is no good answer choice. What is the source? I'm sure it's not a real GMAT question.

The sentence should be something like this:

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and that of meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more fat of a kind thought to be good for cardiac health.

This explanation sounds perfect.

But just a question Bob.. is the below thing wrong..?

X have less total fat than Y have.

Your statement above is of the structure

X have less total fat than do Y.

Further, if "X have less total fat than Y have" can be considered correct, cant we say "X have less total fat than Y" (have is understood).

And this is what option "B" is..?

I'll go with C. A, D and E are out because "they/their" is ambiguous.

I don't like B because "more of a kind of fat" is wordy.

Going back to 800BOB's comment on "that" in C. "that" could refer to total fat.

..."that" stands in for "the population." .

The total fat in wild animals is less than that of livestock.

Da GR8... whats' the QA? You keep asking for explanations, but you never post the QA.

"that" could refer to total fat.

The total fat in wild animals is less than that of livestock.

C says: "wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain." If "that" stands for "total fat" then the C means: "wild animals have less total fat than the total fat of livestock fed on grain." To me that makes no sense. The sentence is trying to compare wild animals with domesticated animals. It should read: "wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain."

There is no good answer. I suppose you could say that B is the "least bad," but settling for the "least bad" is never necessary on the GMAT. There's always a good sentence.

I wish I had stayed out of this discussion. I generally prefer not to comment on bogus questions.