Urch Forums

Plz explain these SCs

hansy7

1. In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

(A) in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics

(B) in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers

© partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics

(D) partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers

(E) partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers

2. In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them

(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are

© surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are

(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which

(E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many are

1. D. I see it as partly because X and partly because Y. X an Y should be parallel. D maintains this by putting X and Y in passive voice.

2. Pick A. green fields that surround is right so that leaves A,C,D . C should have many of whom instead of who. Similarly many of which is awkward. You can look at the sentence fragment modifying farm workers and see which one is the best.

D & B

In the first,

A and B are not parallel ... part and partly

C ... clamsy

E the ones who need to acquire certain characteristicas are the steers not the breeders.

In the second

patchwork (a collection of ... similar to audience, class, team, etc) is singular so surrounds is correct. elimate A,C & D. The subject of the verb to be are farm workers, so the correct choice is many of whom are.

I would pick E and A

The first one E because of agreement and parallelism , to acquire..... to provide...

In the second one , many of whom is awkward? Whome is used in objective cases.

Whom are you going to mary? (Who are you going to marry?)

I dont think we can substitue whom for them and vice versa. So A.

Guyz, I need a help on 2nd question.

Somewhere I read that verb after 'that' should agree with noun just before 'that' . Ex : one of the substances that are(NOT is)

then in second question, shouldn't it be 'surround'

plz tell me where I'm going wrong

The second question has been discussed many times, with no consensus. I personally doubt that it is a real GMAT question because choices A and B can both be justified.

First issue:

"patchwork of green fields that surround" vs. "patchwork of green fields that surrounds"

Both are possible. They have very slightly different meanings, but both meanings make sense. In the first case "that" is plural and refers to "fields." In the second case "that" is singular and refers to "patchwork." In the first case the sentence says that the patchwork is made up of green fields and that the green fields surround the town. In the second case it is the patchwork that surrounds the town. What's the difference? Both make sense to me.

Second issue:

"many of them" vs. "many of whom are"

Here is where I have a preference. "Many of whom are" is perfectly grammatical and unambiguous. In "many of them," however, one could argue that "them" is ambiguous: does it refer to the nearby noun "workers" or to the earlier subject "green fields"? Well, only a nitpicker would ever think that it could refer to "green fields." I have seen many correct answers in GMAT Sentence Correction where a nitpicker might say that pronoun reference is ambiguous but where a person with common sense would have no problem.

So, if I had to choose one answer, I would choose B. But I don't think A is so bad.