Urch Forums

the patchwork of green fields that surround...

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San

Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the

area just for the season.

A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers,

many of them

B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers,

many of whom are

C) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers,

many of who are

D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers,

many of which

E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers,

many are

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that

Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them>> in the

many of them

many of whom are

many of who are

many of which

many are

B is the right answer.

Because "surrounds"'s logic subject and "bustles"'s real subject are "the pathwork", a single form, only B and E have the right form of verbs. Plus in B option, "many of whom are" are correct form to modify "farm workers", therefore, B is the best answer.

[dance][dance]

Lee Shi

many of them

many of whom are

many of who are

many of which

many are

B is the only possible answer:

First, many of who is WRONG; we need many of whom. (Rule: quantifier + of + object. Examples: some of whom, half of which, 44% of whom, etc.)

Second, we need a conjunction to join the two sentences; whom is a conjunction. A and E have no conjunctions.

Third, we need whom to replace workers; we can never use which to refer to people.

Finally, we need a singular verb surrounds to agree with the singular subject patchwork.

Hope that helps!!

Erin

I read another post in another group, and wanted to add this info:

I'd like to point out a very important grammar rule: we must have a conjunction to join two sentences. Thus, if we choose A, using "many of them," we have no conjunction to join the two main sentences.

This is a commonly tested pattern, both on the GMAT and on the TOEFL. Look at this example of a mistake:

I saw two movies this weekend, both of them were good.

On first listen, this sounds correct, but it's not, for reasons that may seem at first hard to explain. However, if we realize that we have two sentences, "I saw two movies this weekend" and "both of them were good," then we'll also realize that we must have a conjunction between them to join them (the basic rule of conjunctions and parallel structure).

The classic corrections (in descending order of likeliness of appearing as correct answers) are:

- I saw two movies this weekend; both of them were good. (joining two sentences with a semi-colon)

- I saw two movies this weekend, both of which were good. (using a relative pronoun (aka subordinating conjunction) to join two sentences)

- I saw two movies this weekend, and both of them were good. (using a coordinating conjunction to join two sentences)

Erin

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
what's the source?

I picked A

...fields sorround not ...fields surround

that refers to the immediate noun fields not the patchwork

how to tell if that refers to fields or Patch work?

if read this post

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/faqs/3978-gmat-sc-s-v-agreement-one-people-who-bake-bakes.html

from this I though it modifies fields, but other way here. so confused.. any one out there who know how to crack this?

imoB

many of them

many of whom are

many of who are

many of which

many are

any other explanations?

1. In 1000SC many OAs have typo. See the attached file for corrected OA (someone posted here after getting it from ST) Note: for this question the answer mentioned is still A and That is still NOT correct.

2. Whenever in doubt, check out what these most knowledgeable and reliable teachers have to say: Bob, Erin and OG

On page #1 of this thread Erin provided excellent explanation. Please see.

And also check out Bob's comment on this question:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentence-correction/52028-plz-explain-these-scs-2.html?highlight=patchwork+green

This question is not from OG so no explanation.

Personally, I trust and respect them (most know...) most.

1000_sc_answers.doc

Erin pls clarify

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them

(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are

considering patchwork as well as greenfields, both can surround SJ valley, verbs used in both the choices are correct.

Lets look at the other differences.

After the comma, Choice A has "many of them in the area just for the season" which is a modifying phrace (modifying FARM WORKERS) & does not reqire a conjunction to connect.Whereas choice B has "many of whom ARE in the area just for the season". which is an independent clause( use of ARE creates a clause) & so requires a conjunction to connect.Since B is lacking a conjunction , it is wrong.(the 2 independent clauses are wrongly fused).

Erin, as you said, WHOM is a conjunction, can you put more light on it since as per my knowledge, WHOM is a relative pronoun.

regrds

• 2 months later...

ok the answer to this question can be derived if you help me with this simple question

which of the following is right

a) A patchwork of blue tiles give my bedroom a nice fresh look

b) A patchwork of blue tiles gives my bedroom a nice fresh look

ok here I agree that the blue tiles give the nice effect but patchwork is a collective noun and must take singular form hence A is right if that is the case then for the org question

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them

(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are

© surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are

(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which

(E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many are

A is the undisputed ans based on singlular form alone, also in A many of them generalises all farm workers but many of whom in B clearly identifies a subset of farm workers specific to San Joaquin Valley

Ya As Kjayachithra said, we need to understand the meaning.

1) the patchwork that surrounds

or

of green fields that surround

patchwork can't surrond the San Joaquin Valley. It should be green fields that surround.

B, E out.

2) and the patchwork bustles.. D out

A is better.

May I dispute this -- The bunch of grapes is squezzed well to collect its juice. Now is the bunch squeezed or are the grapes squeezed, obviously the grapes now apply the same analogy to

1) the patchwork that surrounds

or

of green fields that surround

patchwork can't surrond the San Joaquin Valley. It should be green fields that surround. Though in this case it is the green fields that surround it still has to have the singular form just as our bunch of grapes did.

real toughie --- this is my understanding of SC and I may be wrong so use my psot to guide you not direct you

Martha