Urch Forums

Contrast

rays28

In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is that the contact, and hence the bonding, is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.

(A) instead of

(B) as opposed to

© in contrast with

(D) rather than at

(E) as against being at

Please give the reasons for selection.

Still not clear why it should be D. Ok, let's find why B is wrong.

There's a slight change in meaning between rather than, instead of & as opposed to. This was discussed in some thread here but I cannot recollect the location.

In any case, the general thumb rule that I follow (please use this at your own discretion) is that "rather than" is almost always the correct choice when you have "instead of" and "as opposed to" in the other answer choices.

Besides, comparison is b/w type of bonding in both metalwok & spot-welding.

Contact(bonding) in metal work (M)=>> continuous over a broad surface ©

Contact(bonding) in spot-welding (S)=>> At a regularly spaced points ®

Read this:

Comparing bonding types in M & S: bonding is continuous in M rather than at a regularly spaced points in S.

What do you notice? In the absence of at the structure seems like comparing apples & oranges.

just my 2cents

Just to add with what gmattrap mentioned above...

We are not comparing contact over a board surface to series of regularly placed points which is illogical...

so we have to compare with ..contact over a board surface and contact at series of regularly placed points (spot welding)..so you need 'at' which brings down to only 2 options

Hope I am clear and not confusing :)