Urch Forums

"contrast to" vs. "contrast with"

jeffq

• 2 weeks later...

Both are considered correct, but "with" is more common than "to."

Think of it this way--when we use the verb "contrast," we'd almost always use "with," right? So we can't go wrong by using "with" in our writing, but we need to know for the GMAT that "to" is also acceptable.

Were you thinking of the other notoriously elusive one, "compare with" and "compare to"???

Erin

• 2 years later...

Hi Erin,

I am new to TestMagic forums. I am planning to give my gmat in the next three to five months. I would like to know I can a start a new thread in the forum.

As far as GMAT, My quant skills are ok and I can score around between 35 to 40 at present. However, my english is very weak.

I started of with Sentence correction and it takes me almost 3 minutes to solve on sentence correction (i,e to reading a hard copy.) My hit ratio for correct answer is around 70%. I do understand the parts of speech to some extent and through elimination process, I could attain 70%. (Also I can spot erro - like subject verb disagreement, etc) However, when I try on a computer with time limit my hit ratio drops to 10%. My unable to apply the limited english grammer knowledge I have to do SC correctly.

Please Help. I am planning to strngthen my grammer skiils, so that I can take less than 1.5 minute to answer SC question with 90% accuracy.

Please advise

Thanks

Subra

Both are considered correct, but "with" is more common than "to."

Think of it this way--when we use the verb "contrast," we'd almost always use "with," right? So we can't go wrong by using "with" in our writing, but we need to know for the GMAT that "to" is also acceptable.

Were you thinking of the other notoriously elusive one, "compare with" and "compare to"???

Erin

TestMagic help you before your test?

Please remember to post after your test.

Please? Please?