Urch Forums

A mixture of poems...

tublai

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright,author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man.

A. Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man

B. Black Americans—including Native Son by Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

C. a Black American—including Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man

D. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man

E. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph

Ellison’s Invisible Man

OA after discussion...I am not quite convinced with the OA.

My pick was B

A. Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man

(unnessary being and also not parallel with the subject in the sentence --->Jean Tommer's Cane)

B. Black Americans—including Native Son by Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

(Correct ---parallel with the subject of the sentence --> Jean Tommer's Cane)

C. a Black American—including Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man

(Americans should be plural because there are more than 1 black american authors. Also not parallel with the subject of the sentence --->Jean Toomer's Cane)

D. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man (same as C and A)

E. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph

Ellison’s Invisible Man (same as C and A)

imo A

It cant be C,D,E as a black american would mean that we are talking about only 1 black American and not the entire lot of black americans

B is not correct because the sentence would mena that the other books are the part of Jean Toomer’s Cane

Thus A

Its not that every sentence with being is always wrong !!!!!

IMO B. I agree with mathdumber explanation. Sense of the sentence also call for the book to be stated as one of the best three novels written by black americans. I.e of all the novels (plural is right) that are written by black americans (it cannot be a black american). A black amercian would put the same as the three novels have been written by one single person.

Avinish : The problem with A is the comparision. In it a Book "cane" is compared to the writers of the others not the books. it should compare books.

Legolife: B is also parallel. why have you rejected the same??

Thanks all ...Answers are well distributed between (B) and (E).

OA given (B) - BUT let's take a look a option (B)..

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright,author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man

---- I agree with quiver and LegoLife..Please correct me if I stepping to a wrong direction.

..........Jean Toomer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by a Black American."of the three best novels" is a prepositonal phrase and nothing to do here with the object. If the sentence would have been "one of the three best novels that were written by Black Americans" - Agreed.

And also as LegoLife already mentioned, Jean Toomer’s Cane , Richard Wright’s Native Son , Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man are the parallel elements which are correctly reflected in choice(E).

And I don't think the term "being" is always wrong in GMATLand.

Hence, my pick was (E).

Please jump on with your comments...

@tubai

i was searching for the past treads on this quesitons, and i came across this interesting post by JustMe123.

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentence-correction/58697-sent-corr-please-reply-2.html

============================================================================

From JustMe 123:

check what i found here -

http://www.tangledwire.com/www/tangl...Literature.htm

EAN TOOMER, 1894-1967, wrote "Cane", which was published in 1923, and has been called one of the three best novels ever written by an African American. The other two are Richard Wright's "Native Son", and Ralph Ellison's "Invisible Man".

I picked "one of the three best novels ever written by an African American" becuase it sounds right to me. I think here the participle phrase "written by an African American" modifies "one" not "the three best novels"...

===========================================================================

I guess i am wrong with the first part about the prepositional phrase here.

What does it mean if we put "black americans" in stead of "an black american" in the sentence?

Could you guys explain the prepositional phrase here further pls??

However, i think that "being" is unneccsary in E. Shouldnt it be "the others are Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man"?

("being" is not necessarily wrong in GMAT..)

Can anybody point me to the right direction?