Urch Forums

To develop more accurate population forecasts

agarbattis

Can you pl explain the answer for this Qn

To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic determinants of fertility.

• have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic
  • have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
  • would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
  • would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic
  • would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical

To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic determinants of fertility.

• have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic
  • have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
  • would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
  • would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic
  • would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical

There are three errors in the incorrect sentences:

1. The sentence should use future perfect tense since the two events are occuring in sequence in future. Sentence should use "would have" and not "have". Options A, B are ruled out; options C, D, E satisfy.

2. Word economic and economical are not same although both of them are adjectives. This is altered intent case. Options B, C, E are ruled out; options A, D satisfy.

3. Faulty comparison of time and knowledge. "to know" is compared to "now", while it should have been "they know now" to "what they would know". Options A, E are ruled out; options B, C, D satisfy.

So only option D satify.

I don't think " would have" should be preferred over "have" in this sentence. Normally "would have" should be used to refer future prospect of any past event. I think present tense is enough to retain the meaning of the sentence.

Only A & D use word "economic", making them viable options while others using word "economical" that changes meaning of the sentence.

A compares knowledge to time (now) therefore faulty.

Only option left is D.

I don't think " would have" should be preferred over "have" in this sentence. Normally "would have" should be used to refer future prospect of any past event. I think present tense is enough to retain the meaning of the sentence.

I think you are right. I drop my argument 1.

• 9 months later...