Urch Forums

university students

pgarg00

Most of Portugal’s 250,000 university students boycotted classes in a one-day strike to protest a law that requires them to contribute $330 a year toward the cost of higher education, previously paying $7 per year.

A. year toward the cost of higher education, previously paying $7 per year

B. year toward the cost of higher education, for which was previously paid $7 per year

C. year, compared to the previously $7 per year, toward the cost of higher education

D. year toward the cost of higher education, instead of the $7 per year required previously

E. year as opposed to the $7 per year required previously for the cost of higher education

• 3 months later...

Most of Portugal’s 250,000 university students boycotted classes in a one-day strike to protest a law that requires them to contribute $330 a year toward the cost of higher education, previously paying $7 per year.

A. year toward the cost of higher education, previously paying $7 per year

B. year toward the cost of higher education, for which was previously paid $7 per year

C. year, compared to the previously $7 per year, toward the cost of higher education

D. year toward the cost of higher education, instead of the $7 per year required previously

E. year as opposed to the $7 per year required previously for the cost of higher education

I think it is E.

I was debating between C and E. But I prefer E as it it effectively brings out the comparision of how much is being asked from students now as opposed to what was asked from students an year back.

What is the OA?

Hmm..i think its a tough one.

B is out ..awkward construction..A too doesnt seem to compare effectively.

C is out..compared with is the right usage when comparing similar stuff.

I m between D and E here.

Exam day, i would choose D..i find it more clear and concise..conveying the meaning more effectively..

E mentions that '$7 was required for the cost of higher education which is not the intended meaning'

IMO (D).

I will go with d

A.year toward the cost of higher education, previously paying $7 per year

some what awkward it seems that education is paying $7 per year

conjunction For is redundant

compared to is used for comparing 2 dissimilar thing

clearly indicate $330 instead of $7

as opposed to is incorrect