Urch Forums

Building large new hospitals in the bistate area w

kicker

Erin, please help. Thanks.

1. I chose A. The correct answer is E. "should be avoided" sounds weird to me.

Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, on the basis of a voidance of duplicated facilities alone.

a...

b. on hte grounds of avoiding duplicated facilities alone

c. solely in that duplicated facilities should be avoided

d. while the duplication of facilities should be avoided

e. if only because the duplicateion of facilities should be avoided.

2. I chose E. The correct answer is A.

The ideal citeis of Ebenezer Howard, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Le Corbusier, different from one another as they were, were all based on a belief that physical order in itself could bring about the good life.

a...

b. different one from the other as they were

c. different from each other as every one was

d. differing as each was, one from the other

e. although each differed from another

3. I chose C, but the correct answer is D.

Carbon-14 dating suggest that Neolithic man built the monumental structure at Stonehenge long before any comparable achievment by the Greeks.

a...

b. Greek achievements that were comparable

c. any comparable Greek achievements

d. the Greeks achieved anything comparable

e. anything Greek was comparable as an achievment

4. I was debating between C and D, but I don't really know which one to choose. The correct answer is D.

Toynbee was a cholar of Greece and Rome, with a preference for the former, and a close student of Byzantulum and of the modern Balkans are apparent on every page of his last book.

a...

b. Toynbee being a scholar of Greece and Rome, with a prefernece for the former, and a close student of Byantium and of the modern Balkans are

c. That Toynbee was a scholar of Greece and Rome, with the preference for the former, and a close student of Byzantium and of the modern Balkans are

d. That Toynbee was a scholar of Greece and Rome, with a prefernce for the former, and a close student of Byzantium and of the modern Balkans is

e. Toynbee, a scholar of Greece and Rome with a preference for the former, and a close student of Byzantium and of the modern Balkans, which is

5. I chose A, but the correct answer is B.

The majority of the talk was devoted to an account of the experimental methods used by investigators in the field.

a. ...

b. The greater part of the talk was

c. The bulk of the talk has been

d. A large amount of the talk has been

e. A predominance of the talk was

1. I chose A. The correct answer is E. "should be avoided" sounds weird to me.

Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, on the basis of a voidance of duplicated facilities alone.

a. on the basis of a voidance of duplicated facilities alone

b. on the grounds of avoiding duplicated facilities alone

c. solely in that duplicated facilities should be avoided

d. while the duplication of facilities should be avoided

e. if only because the duplicateion of facilities should be avoided.

Linda,

First the good news--you are asking great questions!

First of all, A is both wordy and illogical. Now don't get depressed; I think you can see this.

We should use "on the basis" when we are looking at one thing for evidence and making some kind of decision based on that thing.

I have discussed "in that" in detail in another topic, so that should be covered.

E is fine--although it uses the passive voice, the "if only" part is important. In this sentence "if only" means that "the duplication of facilities" provides enough reason not to build new hospitals.

Please remember that in our heirarchy of correct GMAT Sentence Correction, passive voice is only a minor sin and is often correct.

The ideal cities of Ebenezer Howard, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Le Corbusier, different from one another as they were, were all based on a belief that physical order in itself could bring about the good life.

a. different from one another as they were

Whew! What a tricky inversion question!

First of all, we need to realize that "as" here means something along the lines of "even though."

Yeah, I know this is bothering you, but you need to know that a sentence like this exists in English:

"As comfortable as you may be, I will have to ask you to give up your seat to the older man and sit on the floor."

which means something along the lines of

"Even though you are comfortable, I will have to ask you to give up your seat to the older man and sit on the floor."

Furthermore, we need to realize that we often omit the first "as" when we invert. Hence,

different from one another as they were

is the same thing as

as different from one another as they were

3. I chose C, but the correct answer is D.

Carbon-14 dating suggest that Neolithic man built the monumental structure at Stonehenge long before any comparable achievment by the Greeks.

a. any comparable achievment by the Greeks

b. Greek achievements that were comparable

c. any comparable Greek achievements

d. the Greeks achieved anything comparable

e. anything Greek was comparable as an achievment

Yes, I agree that C and D are very close, but if we look at C carefully, and eliminate all the extra words (the adjectives and adverbs), we will see that we are saying that N. man built the structure before the achievements, which is a bit imprecise because "achievements" is not a noun that implies time or location. For example, it's okay to say "before dinner" because "dinner" implies a certain period. Thus, in this case, we should use a full sentence after "before" to establish a period of time.

BTW, "before" is one of six words that can be a subordinating conjunction (followed by a sentence) or a preposition (followed by a noun). All six are before, after, since, until, as, and for.

4. I was debating between C and D, but I don't really know which one to choose. The correct answer is D.

Toynbee was a scholar of Greece and Rome, with a preference for the former, and a close student of Byzantulum and of the modern Balkans are apparent on every page of his last book.

a. Toynbee was a scholar of Greece and Rome, with a preference for the former, and a close student of Byzantulum and of the modern Balkans are

b. Toynbee being a scholar of Greece and Rome, with a prefernece for the former, and a close student of Byantium and of the modern Balkans are

c. That Toynbee was a scholar of Greece and Rome, with the preference for the former, and a close student of Byzantium and of the modern Balkans are

d. That Toynbee was a scholar of Greece and Rome, with a prefernce for the former, and a close student of Byzantium and of the modern Balkans is

e. Toynbee, a scholar of Greece and Rome with a preference for the former, and a close student of Byzantium and of the modern Balkans, which is

This one's tricky only because we have so much extra stuff in the sentence. But if we look at it carefully, we will see that we have a noun clause as the main subject. We should therefore use a singular verb, "is," since noun clauses are treated as singular subjects.

5. I chose A, but the correct answer is B.

The majority of the talk was devoted to an account of the experimental methods used by investigators in the field.

a. ...

b. The greater part of the talk was

c. The bulk of the talk has been

d. A large amount of the talk has been

e. A predominance of the talk was

Good one!! "majority" should be used with count nouns only.

Make sense? Hope so!! :D

• 2 years later...

The ideal cities of Ebenezer Howard, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Le Corbusier, different from one another as they were, were all based on a belief that physical order in itself could bring about the good life.

More than two things to work with use another... Only choice a and e have another. "differ from" is wrong... A wins...

More than two things to work with use another... Only choice a and e have another. "differ from" is wrong... A wins...

Differ from is correct usage.

The problem with E is that it should be: differed from one another

• 2 years later...
Linda,

First the good news--you are asking great questions!

First of all, A is both wordy and illogical. Now don't get depressed; I think you can see this.

We should use "on the basis" when we are looking at one thing for evidence and making some kind of decision based on that thing.

I have discussed "in that" in detail in another topic, so that should be covered.

E is fine--although it uses the passive voice, the "if only" part is important. In this sentence "if only" means that "the duplication of facilities" provides enough reason not to build new hospitals.

Please remember that in our heirarchy of correct GMAT Sentence Correction, passive voice is only a minor sin and is often correct.

Hi Erin,

Could you please guide me for B option. What is the mistake with B

Is it ok to use "if only because" in the sense it has been used in the sentence it seems that either one of them could be avoided. i.e. it seems redundant.

"Decision" as you have mentioned for "on the basis" does it mean an action or conclusion. the first part of the sentence also is an conclusion

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Whew! What a tricky inversion question!

First of all, we need to realize that "as" here means something along the lines of "even though."

Yeah, I know this is bothering you, but you need to know that a sentence like this exists in English:

"As comfortable as you may be, I will have to ask you to give up your seat to the older man and sit on the floor."

which means something along the lines of

"Even though you are comfortable, I will have to ask you to give up your seat to the older man and sit on the floor."

Furthermore, we need to realize that we often omit the first "as" when we invert. Hence,

different from one another as they were

is the same thing as

as different from one another as they were

All the reasons that you gave are right but still what's wrong with E? A seems to be an awkward construction