Urch Forums

patchwork of green fields

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them

(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are

© surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are

(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which

(E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many are

please let me know the line of reasoning and answer

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

Many of them refers to the farmworkers, so it should be whom and has to be followed with are.

So, IMO B

IMO A

Surrounds is used to show present tense

patchwork of green fields......surround

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them ---> Correct

(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are ---> Surrounds incorrect, Bcoz referred to patchwork, Whom is incorrect too

© surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are ---> Who usage is incorrect

(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which --> Which is for things

(E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many are ---> Surrounds incorrect, Bcoz referred to patchwork

@scorpion.ks

check this out , I got it from Psahil's note :

A sentence like ‘X is one of the Y that are. Are is the correct use. Such a sentence always should have a subject verb agreement with Y and not with X.

obviously we need "are" in the second part , so rule out A and D .

B and E have S-V flaw ! so left with C ! although I still have problem with "who" !!

IMO B is the correct answer, patchwork is the subject of the sentence, hence surround needs to agree with patchwork. Soltan - of is the middleman, it's there to confuse you. Farm workers is not the subject of the sentence, whom needs to be use instead of who. You only use who to refer the subject.

in second thought may be you are right ! since it doesn't have "one " !!! I am lost dude !!

I was just about to write that where is "one" in sentence but then I refreshed the page and saw this post.

coz with "x is one of the Ys....I agree 100% with you. I follow it"

But really, can you find any example where you see "X of Ys that is" vs "X of Ys that are"

where X is singular, Y is plural.

I am more or less sure that X will derive the verb but want to be 100% sure.

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them

(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are

© surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are

(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which

(E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many are

please let me know the line of reasoning and answer

Guys, I think the answer is B.

Manhattan SC book says 'of' is a middleman. Therefore, the subject is patchwork - singular - B and E are contendors. B clearly wins over E.

@soltan - I think your post is OK. X is one of the Ys that....(plural verb)....But, I have my reservations because if you really look at the formation 'X' is the subject of the sentence but not 'Y'. I think this formation is not addressed in Manhattan SC.

To answer the above question - The formation presented in the question is different than the one quote by @soltan. So, I am sure that the subject is 'patchwork'

Cheers,

Unplugged

• 1 month later...

i think B is the correct answer.

First of all, surrounds is the right form of verb as 'patchwork' is the subject.

so, a,c and d are gone.

between b and e, b is better as 'many are' in e is not correct.

It creates a confusion regarding the noun which is pointed by many.

so, e is gone and b is the best.

"Surround" and "surrounds" are both correct. It depends on whether you want "that" to refer to "patchwork" or to "fields". Both interpretations make sense.

The patchwork of green fields that surrounds...

Here it's the patchword that surrounds.

The patchwork of green fields that surround...

Here it's the fields that surround.

What's the difference? None.

The problem with A is the ambiguous reference of "them". Does the pronoun refer to "fields" or to "workers"?

In choice B there is no ambiguity. "Whom" can refer only to people, and so here the pronoun refers unambiguously to "workers".

The best response is B.

• 2 months later...
"Surround" and "surrounds" are both correct. It depends on whether you want "that" to refer to "patchwork" or to "fields". Both interpretations make sense.

The patchwork of green fields that surrounds...

Here it's the patchword that surrounds.

The patchwork of green fields that surround...

Here it's the fields that surround.

What's the difference? None.

The problem with A is the ambiguous reference of "them". Does the pronoun refer to "fields" or to "workers"?

In choice B there is no ambiguity. "Whom" can refer only to people, and so here the pronoun refers unambiguously to "workers".

The best response is B.

Bob: you are simply the best :) :)

IMO c...

B and E are impossible.

"of green fields that ..." fields is plural, surrounds is incorrect. It has to be surround.

We are left with A C and D.

"Joaquin Valley town..." is singular so should be bustles and not Bustle. So D is voted out.

A is visibly incorrect so correct answer is C, even if we do not consider who and whom issue. Also the subject in the sentence are the workers who and not whom "are in the area just for the season".

OA?

IMO c...

B and E are impossible.

"of green fields that ..." fields is plural, surrounds is incorrect. It has to be surround.

We are left with A C and D.

"Joaquin Valley town..." is singular so should be bustles and not Bustle. So D is voted out.

A is visibly incorrect so correct answer is C, even if we do not consider who and whom issue. Also the subject in the sentence are the workers who and not whom "are in the area just for the season".

OA?

OA is B BoB 800has already replied to this post.

see previous page