Urch Forums

prep question

Because uranium is the heaviest, and it is therefore the most penetrating, of natural metals, it is being increasingly used in the production of armor piercing bullets and rockets.

(A) and it is therefore the most penetrating, of natural metals, it is being incre uingly used

(B) and it is therefore the most penetrating, of natural metals, it has increased use

© and, therefore the most penetrating, of natural metals, it is being increasingly used

(D) and therefore it is the most penetrating of natural metals, there is increasing use

(E) therefore the most penetrating of natural metals, it is being increasingly used

couldnt choose btn C and E

Because uranium is the heaviest, and it is therefore the most penetrating, of natural metals, it is being increasingly used in the production of armor piercing bullets and rockets.

(A) and it is therefore the most penetrating, of natural metals, it is being incre uingly used

(B) and it is therefore the most penetrating, of natural metals, it has increased use

© and, therefore the most penetrating, of natural metals, it is being increasingly used

(D) and therefore it is the most penetrating of natural metals, there is increasing use

(E) therefore the most penetrating of natural metals, it is being increasingly used

IMO B;

Uranium....it.....it has....

A,C,E eliminated because of being.

D...there is increasing use....where? Increasing use of what? ..natural metals or uranium? (Ambiguous).

Hence we are left with E.

Thanks.

R

Should be between (A), © and (E)..the other two dont sound good..

Somehow i dont like (E) bcos separating the 'most penetrating ...' by two commas makes the clause kind of optional..however, i think the information is necessary for the sentence and is properly conveyed by using 'and'..

Its between A and C for me..

I go for (A) bcos it seems to maintain ||ism..no strong reasons for going against © though

plz post OA?

IMO C (tough call b/w C and E ... )

A is out ..'IT is' is redundant

(E) therefore the most penetrating of natural metals, it is being increasingly used --we need 'and' here .. 'heaviest' and 'most penetrating' are two properties of uranium so 'and' is required ...'of natural metals' is optional so should be preceded by comma ..

I still disagree with © bcos there is a comma before and after 'and'

and dont like (E) bcos we need equal emphasis on both the properties..

Is that the correct usage ?

Because uranium is the heaviest, and, therefore the .....

May be Erin or Bob can chip in plz..i m a bit confused with this one..

IMO (A)

I LIKE a

© and, therefore the most penetrating, of natural metals, it is being increasingly used--COMMA AFTER AND

(D) and therefore it is the most penetrating of natural metals, there is increasing use--OF WHAT

(E) therefore the most penetrating of natural metals, it is being increasingly used--NEEDS AND BEFORE THEREFORE

IMO E

(A) and it is therefore the most penetrating, of natural metals, it is being increasingly used ...... modifies the previous clause correctly but second it is ambiguous

(B) and it is therefore the most penetrating, of natural metals, it has increased use - present perfect not required

© and, therefore the most penetrating, of natural metals, it is being increasingly used ---- run on sentence

(D) and therefore it is the most penetrating of natural metals, there is increasing use --- uranium pronoun is missing from subject to relate cause-effect

(E) therefore the most penetrating of natural metals, it is being increasingly used --- best answer

• 3 weeks later...

© Because uranium is the heaviest, and, therefore the most penetrating, of natural metals, it is being increasingly used

(E) Because uranium is the heaviest, therefore the most penetrating of natural metals, it is being increasingly used

Uranaium is used in the production of armor piercing bullets... because it is heaviest and, therefre the most penetrating of natural metals.

C.

E, just makes penetration abilities of uranium a modifier.