Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Number of 800 scores

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Number of 800 scores

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by vingmat
    Spiderman, please let me know what has come of Abraham Thomas, the IIT-B guy who got that 800.
    yupp it is abraham thomas ... and if anyone has watched that interview on "Good Morning India", you will notice two freshers sneaking in from behind from time to time .. he he .. one of them is me !! he is in Tokyo right now . oh btw, he never used the 800 score because he never applied to any univ. He got such a wonderful job and such a huge load of pay (I think the highest paid to an IITB'ian at that time) that he took up the job.

ps: I just checked out the IITB site, and Thomas was 4th not 2nd as I had mentioned earlier.

GMAT Record

IITB Student crashes the GMAT ! Abraham Thomas, 4th year B.Tech. student of Engineering Physics, scored a straight 800 out of 800 in the GMAT examination held last week. Thomas is also the Gen. Secretary, Hostels and represents students in the Senate. GMAT is the qualifying entrance examination for entry into US Universities for doing MBA Programme. Thomas is only the 4th person, ever to have achieved this score. The earlier three were : Robert McNamara (former World Bank Chief), Shankar Balakrishnan, ex-IIT Madras and now with World Bank and Namesh Marjani, a Bombay Commerce student. Congratulations! Abraham Thomas.

Good post? Yes | No

Hey among the mentioned four i cannot find Kapil Madan, an acquintance of mine who got 800.

Slightly off the track, can somebody tell how 41/37 questions map to perfect score of 51? based upon the number of right/wrong question.

and

vingmat,

buddy how do u know its damped sinusoidal? are u sure? what is the source of info?(BTW, having helped me, u owe to know my scores (650,50Q,27V)..verbal was truely suicidal.)..retake is well in my mind...and ...cudnt find that..kap800...unlucky enuff...

Steve.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Spiderman,
    I read in the Indian Express that he was running from pillar to pillar to kind of get the scholarship to the tune of Rs. 30 lakh at that time. Very sad to know that he did not use that magic score at all.
    I do not know, but I might just be going along on that route. The stakes involved in plunging into a Real Top Program are absolutely frightening if you go by a worst-case scenario analysis. 50-100 lakh is no joke for anyone but the very elite in India!
    Wharton's India Alumni reads something like the who's-who: Ambani, Mittal etc.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

I happen to know someone who got a perfect score on the LSAT. I am wondering how rare it is to get that a 180 on that exam?

Good post? Yes | No

Oh yeah spiderman,
    I was in college break and watched that interview, remeber that guy in a T-shirt, a tennis racket hanging behind the wall. Such a genious guy but do not remember the sneaky fresher (spidey) , will see soon him in top univs.....

btw is 51 is the maxm score in each section or 60 ??? .

Good post? Yes | No

I've done some more research. It sound like there are about 50 people a year who score an 800. This past year Stanford rejected multiple 800 score recipients. INSEAD has rejected others in previous years. You can also see from some GMAT score ranges for accepted students at various universities that there are other people who've scored an 800 and enrolled in the programs. I'm not sure why they think in India that there have been only 4 in history. The evidence I've found seems to indicate otherwise.
    Aiming for 750+

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by dyoh
    I've done some more research. It sound like there are about 50 people a year who score an 800. This past year Stanford rejected multiple 800 score recipients. INSEAD has rejected others in previous years. You can also see from some GMAT score ranges for accepted students at various universities that there are other people who've scored an 800 and enrolled in the programs. I'm not sure why they think in India that there have been only 4 in history. The evidence I've found seems to indicate otherwise.
    please do note that we had said that the statistics were for 1998. and it might very well be possible that after 1998 there might have been more people scoring 800's. and its not the whole of India which is thinking this way. Its just me and may be vingmat.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Ari Freiser has taught standardized test preparation for over ten years. His scores are:SAT 1520; GMAT 800; GRE 2400 (800 + 800 + 800); LSAT 180.
    This guy is an instuctor at TESTWELL - his scores are perfect.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage gmat168's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

It's funny he can score so high on graduate level exams, but his SAT score is far from perfect.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Reviving old thread

Sorry for reviving this old thread but just was curious. What is the number of rights in each section to get a 800 ? And what about 790/780/770 ? How much does a 51 in quant warrant ?

BTW I bumped into some info on Abraham Thomas here:

http://www.iitb.ac.in/~insight/issue...tian_tokyo.htm

I know of a guy in MIT Sloan by the name Raghu Subramanian who had an 800. And I am sure though it is not that rare, it surely is not 80 people are rejected by Stanford each year with that score

Arun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information