Urch Forums

Number of 800 scores

dyoh

I'm just curious....

Does anyone happen to know how many people get an 800 score every year? Some people say there have been only 4 in history, but I know there are more because some colleges (like Stanford) say they've admitted some recently. This isn't exactly important, but it's piqued my interest.

:hmm:

I'm just curious....

Does anyone happen to know how many people get an 800 score every year? Some people say there have been only 4 in history, but I know there are more because some colleges (like Stanford) say they've admitted some recently. This isn't exactly important, but it's piqued my interest.

:hmm:

According to "Shawn Berry," a guy who's gotten an 800:

Sure, I have twice earned a perfect 800 on the GMAT-CAT, a score earned by only 1 person in 13,500 who takes the GMAT.

:)

Hi,

The IIT Bombay site mentions that as of year 1999, only four people have scored 800 in the world - two from the IITs, one a Robert Mc Namera - a former World Bank Chief - and a Commerce Graduate. I am not sure of this though. Stanford is on record as having rejected 8/8 applicants year before last who scored an 800.

Based on my own testing experience, I would say that an 800 is definitely a possible score; many people fall short because of intrinsic human frailities - I think I definitely came very close but lost my points on time pressure toward the end of each section. Everything in the GMAT finally comes to a Time-Accuracy stand-off.

My goal was a 750+; therefore I started real slow taking my own sweet time to ensure full accuracy on the first 20 questions in each section. The engine being patterned on a damped sinusoidal oscillation necessitates this approach unless of course you have an unusually convoluted and contoured brain - as did Einstein ( mind you Einstein would have aced only the Quant with this approach) - combined with a mastery of English comparable to say Wordsworth/Shelly/Shakepeare (they would of course have fumbled on the Quant).

800 is by all means achievable but anyone rooting for it would have to consider seriously the prospect of falling off the Speed-Accuracy Relation - tempering this aspect is the only real constraint.! Balance on skills, Test Orientation and Pacing Strategy are the KEY, if there is one, for Acing the GMAT.

Hi,

The IIT Bombay site mentions that as of year 1999, only four people have scored 800 in the world - two from the IITs, one a Robert Mc Namera - a former World Bank Chief - and a Commerce Graduate. I am not sure of this though. Stanford is on record as having rejected 8/8 applicants year before last who scored an 800.

honestly, i too was curious of the number of 800 scores. and I too was sticking to the above info that vingmat posted. In 1998, my senior at IITB became the second person in the world to score a perfect 800 and he was interviewed on the televsion "Good Morning India" for becoming the second person in the world to crack 800. so, that was definitely true at that time, given the mass media coverage he was given and the "n" interviews he had given. So, my understanding was that 800 scores are hard to come by. but seeing postings here of stanford rejecting "8 or 80 (read somewhere it is 80??)" 800 applications, i dont know what to believe.

Hi folks,

I too was seriously confused when I heard this info about 8/8 rejections. I do not know whether this is one of those rumours that circulate around thick and fast - I seriously pray that this is just a rumour - but I did hear this from more than one source, including some who have no reason to bluf.

Spiderman, please let me know what has come of Abraham Thomas, the IIT-B guy who got that 800. I remember having read on the front page of the Indian Express that he was seriously running around for funds. He belongs to the same state as me and was a student at St.Thomas Residential School. Some of his juniors from that school were very good friends of mine at Engineering college. I could not trace his whereabouts despite some efforts.

Regards,

vin.

Spiderman, please let me know what has come of Abraham Thomas, the IIT-B guy who got that 800.

:tup: yupp it is abraham thomas ... and if anyone has watched that interview on "Good Morning India", you will notice two freshers sneaking in from behind from time to time :D .. he he .. one of them is me :spidey2: !! he is in Tokyo right now :). oh btw, he never used the 800 score because he never applied to any univ. He got such a wonderful job and such a huge load of pay (I think the highest paid to an IITB'ian at that time) that he took up the job.

ps: I just checked out the IITB site, and Thomas was 4th not 2nd as I had mentioned earlier.

GMAT Record

IITB Student crashes the GMAT ! Abraham Thomas, 4th year B.Tech. student of Engineering Physics, scored a straight 800 out of 800 in the GMAT examination held last week. Thomas is also the Gen. Secretary, Hostels and represents students in the Senate. GMAT is the qualifying entrance examination for entry into US Universities for doing MBA Programme. Thomas is only the 4th person, ever to have achieved this score. The earlier three were : Robert McNamara (former World Bank Chief), Shankar Balakrishnan, ex-IIT Madras and now with World Bank and Namesh Marjani, a Bombay Commerce student. Congratulations! Abraham Thomas. [/Quote]

Hey among the mentioned four i cannot find Kapil Madan, an acquintance of mine who got 800.

Slightly off the track, can somebody tell how 41/37 questions map to perfect score of 51? based upon the number of right/wrong question.

and

vingmat,

buddy how do u know its damped sinusoidal? are u sure? what is the source of info?(BTW, having helped me, u owe to know my scores (650,50Q,27V)..verbal was truely suicidal.)..retake is well in my mind...and ...cudnt find that..kap800...unlucky enuff...

Steve.

Spiderman,

I read in the Indian Express that he was running from pillar to pillar to kind of get the scholarship to the tune of Rs. 30 lakh at that time. Very sad to know that he did not use that magic score at all.

I do not know, but I might just be going along on that route. The stakes involved in plunging into a Real Top Program are absolutely frightening if you go by a worst-case scenario analysis. 50-100 lakh is no joke for anyone but the very elite in India!

Wharton's India Alumni reads something like the who's-who: Ambani, Mittal etc.

Oh yeah spiderman,

I was in college break and watched that interview, remeber that guy in a T-shirt, a tennis racket hanging behind the wall. Such a genious guy but do not remember the sneaky fresher (spidey) :hmm: :D , will see soon him in top univs.....

btw is 51 is the maxm score in each section or 60 ??? :hmm: .

I've done some more research. It sound like there are about 50 people a year who score an 800. This past year Stanford rejected multiple 800 score recipients. INSEAD has rejected others in previous years. You can also see from some GMAT score ranges for accepted students at various universities that there are other people who've scored an 800 and enrolled in the programs. I'm not sure why they think in India that there have been only 4 in history. The evidence I've found seems to indicate otherwise.

I've done some more research. It sound like there are about 50 people a year who score an 800. This past year Stanford rejected multiple 800 score recipients. INSEAD has rejected others in previous years. You can also see from some GMAT score ranges for accepted students at various universities that there are other people who've scored an 800 and enrolled in the programs. I'm not sure why they think in India that there have been only 4 in history. The evidence I've found seems to indicate otherwise.

please do note that we had said that the statistics were for 1998. and it might very well be possible that after 1998 there might have been more people scoring 800's. and its not the whole of India which is thinking this way. Its just me and may be vingmat.

• 11 months later...

Sorry for reviving this old thread but just was curious. What is the number of rights in each section to get a 800 ? And what about 790/780/770 ? How much does a 51 in quant warrant ?

BTW I bumped into some info on Abraham Thomas here:

http://www.iitb.ac.in/~insight/issues/new/vol4iss8/iitian_tokyo.htm

I know of a guy in MIT Sloan by the name Raghu Subramanian who had an 800. And I am sure though it is not that rare, it surely is not 80 people are rejected by Stanford each year with that score :rolleyes:

Arun

The Official Guide, 11th edition, states that less than 50 people a year score 800. They don't say how much less.

Since the GMAT score is based on only 58 questions, I believe you need to answer every one of the 58 scored questions correctly to get 800.

What I don't understand is the Q and V scaled scores. How can they say that those scores are on a scale of 0-60? I think I answered every question correctly (though I cannot of course be absolutely sure -- number correct is never reported) and my subscores were Q51 and V51. Has anybody ever heard of a subscore higher than 51?