Urch Forums

Compare your Manhattan Online GMAT CAT Scores here

SidGupta

Hi,

Just thought id start a thread where people could compare their scores of the three Manhattan GMAT CATs available online (for 25$).

I found the first two CATs MUCH harder than the 3rd, which is consistent with another person on these forums (haddy i think).

My scores were:

Online CAT 1: 540

Online CAT 2: 600

Not only were these two tests quite hard (comparable to Kaplan 2006 CD CATs i thought), but i also wasnt being able to get my timing right for either section.

For 10 days, did a fair bit of revision, did the last 20 Qs of all sections of the OG 11th ed (which i had left for later), did a couple of retired ETS Test Papers (specially, to get my awful timing in place)

Online CAT 3: 730

Was much easier and i think my last 10 days of studying too made a difference, specially in the Verbal section.

What have the others experienced with these CATs?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

took the first one. thought it was very good and hard dont have an accurate score because i was doing it more to learn rather than for timing. id be curious though what others have to say about the scoring algorithm and level of difficulty onthose tests

I took the CAT 1 on last saturday. I agree with you folks. Its VERY hard. I got a 580. This is what I noticed:

1. Quant is VERY hard. Some of the questions tend to take TOO much time. This makes me think that some of them are not GMAT questions.

2. I almost spend 6 minutes on a couple of quant questions. Although I got both of them right, the screwed up the following questions. Usually, we tend to get this feeling like: Gosh I got to get this right... ok... got it... o boy, I spent a lot of time on that one... let me try to save some time... and we end up doing some silly mistakes.

3. The tough Quant section drained me out. I got exhausted by the time I got to the verbal section.

4. Verbal section is VERY tough. Some of the CR questions are beyond GMAT. I have seen many LSAT CR questions. The CAT 1's CRs are even tougher than LSATs'. RCs are just too much. You have passages of about 80+ lines with 3 questions. Thats scary for me.

• 1 month later...

I gave the first test .Scored 600.I skiiped all the RCs,

I think quant in manhataan is of GMAT standard except for few questions.You can expect ssuch kind of the questions in real GMAT.

I made 9 mistakes in quant and scored 43.(9 mistakes in GMATPrep makes atleast 49.

Sc in MANHATTAN is touhg but its not that tough that it can be taken care of.CR are definetly tough with out of this world reasoning for the correct answer.I strongly think that one should not bother about CR mistakes as its not representative of the real test.

RC no comments.

i found the math Qs in Manhattan tests(test-I) mostly GMAT standard. mark me, I said mostly - means many of the Qs are of GMAT type. but few are way too dragged and one can never expect those in real test.

over all. good rating for math.

as per english, SCs were kind of representative of real test. RC/CR is too difficult.

So far, I have only given Manhattan gmat's test 1 and I scored 650(Q50, V31). In quants three answers were incorrect and in verbal 20 were incorrect.

But then my feedback is that CR and RC are out of the world questions. They are there because Manhattan GMAT had to have some unique questions :) Their Critical Reasoning arguments have no reasoning and Reading Comprehension passages are incomprehensible.

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gmat/52999-all-talk-about-kaplan-tests-being-hard-mahattan-tests-hard-too.html

U appear to be perfectly rawking with quants mate..!

All d best!!

Today I finished test no 2 of Manhattan GMAT and managed to score 680 (Q46, V36). 7 questions were incorrect in quants whereas 15 questions were incorrect in verbal.

I am writing GMAT this wednesday and lets see :|

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ,

I have takend almost all Kaplan CATs, three paper tests from ETS , the 800Score CATs and the two Manhattan GMAT CATs.

I found the GMAT CATs quantitative questions very close to the real gmatprep questions in terms of the "types" of questions. However, the difficulty of most of the quantitative questions if not all in the Manhattan CATs are equal or greater than the toughest questions I have encountered in the gmatprep and testcode tests (real past gmat exams). Also, I find that the easier quantitative questions in Manhattan , are easier in terms of being less tricky than others (mostly because there are no hidden assumptions), but are too time consuming. For example, there are questions that require you to solve a quadratic equation using the canonical quadratic expression, which you will almost never be asked to do in the real GMAT, because it takes too much time. And there are several questions like that where the method of solving is straight forward but the algebra just takes too much time.

However, i do believe that the "types" of questions are right on, very similar to the real thing, but the amount of time that they assume the questions will take is just not reasonable.

In terms of CR, yes, I agree that the questions are tougher.

Overall I think these are the best CAT tests, definitely better than Kaplan.

I received some MGMAT books from a friend but they were without the CDs. These are "sample books" so they are just that: books only. Is there any way that I can get access to the test banks without having to purchase all of the books. I don plan on buying one so that I can take the CATs. Any help would appreciated.

I received some MGMAT books from a friend but they were without the CDs. These are "sample books" so they are just that: books only. Is there any way that I can get access to the test banks without having to purchase all of the books. I don plan on buying one so that I can take the CATs. Any help would appreciated.

• 10 months later...

Are you dicussing the Online Computer adaptive tests or the older non-adaptive versions.?

My score on the adaptive test:

Q 51 6 Incorrect,

V 38 13 Incorrect.

Total: 730 :)

Am taking the test on 9th July.

The RC questions were tough, especially the inference questions.

Hello guys,

I am starting my prep and am loving the fact that everyone here wants a 700+. How many CAT practice tests are there? I know of the

GMAT PREP

Manhattan CAT

PowerPrep

Can you let me know if there are more? What is the best one?

Thanks

Going4it

Hi,

i would prefer the following tests in Descending order of PREFERENCE

1.GmatPrep

2.Kaplan Tests (Very Difficult --> Do not take the scores seriously, but review the test results and explanations)

3.Manhattan CAT's

4.Princeton CAT's

5.PowerPrep

i don't know what to think about the manhattan tests either...

my scores:

cat1: 690 (q34, v51) i'm just recalling the breakdowns from memory...

cat2: 690 (q44, v39)

cat3: 680 (q44, v38)

cat4: 750 (q44, v51)

i'm not that strong in math, but i've scored higher in the section on other tests. their math seems exorbitantly hard (either that, or i'm seriously lacking in it). verbal see,s relatively easy. i got bogged down in some of there more difficult reading comp passages which led to lower scores in cats2-3. these were all taken recently--they apparently modified their algorithm several months back

• 2 weeks later...

Took MGMAT -5 today. Following are my scores

mgmat 5 740 (Q 49, V 42) V -12 incorrect Q - 7 ( including one unattempted)

mgmat 4 740 (Q 50, V 41) V - 15 incorrect Q - 10 incorrect

mgmat 3 730 (Q 51, V 38)

mgmat 2 720 (Q 49, V 39)

mgmat 1 530 (Q 36, V 27)

mfeaspire:

You scores are steadily improving which is good. Was mgmat1 your diagnostic test?

I took 3 M'ttan tests so far:

mgmat5 : 680 (48Q, 34V)

mgmat1 : 700 (49Q, 36V)

mgmat2 : 720 (51Q, 37V)

My test date is Aug 11 so I really, really need to pull up verbal score. When is your test date? What are you doing to improve your verbal score?

I also took a GMATPrep1(710) test last month and PowerPrep1(700) today.

My testdate is just a few days later than yours.

My MGMAT1 was not really a diagnostic test but somehow I goofed up the pacing pattern ,which lead to the dismal score.

I'm also maximising my focus on verbal(in fact 95% of my gmat prep has remained focussed on verbal, though not at all in an organized way )

With barely a mere three weeks to go, I'm starting to loose composure. Need to gear up and practise more on the VA ,especially the CR section.