Urch Forums

Studied one month and another month to go.

rycherx

I am 28 years old.

I did my first practice exam.

GMATprep1 600 (q44, v29)

I have an average IQ and wanting to get a 700 on the exam.

It feels a little out of reach, but I am willing to grind it out for 4 weeks taking a full verbal section everyday for a month. As for Math I will do a full length cat exam once/twice week for a month so my math score doesn't drop.

I know some people are more natural with standardized tests than other.

What is suppose to be a measurement of IQ is being skewed by more students preparing for the GMAT. My analogy of performing well on the GMAT is to playing well at a piano recital. The basic knowledge tested on the GMAT is equivalent to basic knowledge of reading notes. Basic algebra, geometry, and reading skills. This is similar to a basic understanding of beats, notes, and octaves. However, rarely do people who have never practiced the piano play a Beethoven piece at a recital. I am sure there are those who can spending one day with a piano, but that's as rare as those who score a 750 from studying the test for one day.

The above analogy makes sense to me. Even though I may suck at the GMAT now vs all of my other friends who do well. I just tell myself that it is like playing an instrument and my friends happen to be exposed to it longer than I have been. I wish I grew up in an English speaking family like them, my verbal scores would have been higher. HAHAhaha.

GMATprep1 600 (q44, v29)

800score Verbal: 34, 35

Just took Princeton cat I: 570(v32, q36)

I don't know what happened today on my Princeton Exam. I thought the quantitative was easier, but I guess I was not accurate enough. As for Verbal, I only got 2 SC wrong and 1 RC wrong. The rest were CR that I missed.

I took another 800score Verbal and got a 36 today.

I expect to have ups and downs on my tests...going from one company to the next. I am hoping that my score goes up overall over time.

I will be taking another Princeton exam Saturday and hoping to break 600 on that exam.

Summary

GMATprep1 600 (q44, v29)

800score Verbal: 34, 35, 36

Just took Princeton cat I: 570(v32, q36)

Took Princeton Review CAT II.

Had a huge headache after math. Software crashed so I had to go to CAT III and do my verbals without killing my math results.

I got screwed on the verbal.

I guessed the last 7 in math and got a 41.

I guessed the last 10 in verbals and got a 24. My throbbing headache halfway through my verbal might have ruined me.

I think my timing is hurting me more than not knowing some of the advanced material.

Summary

GMATprep1 600 (q44, v29)

Princeton cat I: 570(v32, q36)

Princeton cat II: don't know (v n/a, q41)

Princeton cat III: don't know (v 24, na)

Took Princeton Review CAT II.

Had a huge headache after math. Software crashed so I had to go to CAT III and do my verbals without killing my math results.

Summary

GMATprep1 600 (q44, v29)

Princeton cat I: 570(q36, v32)

Princeton cat II: (don't know)(q41, n/a)

Princeton cat III (don't know)(n/a, v24)

This thread of mine is turning more into a diary.

I believe that fluctuations in my scores has alot to do with timing issues.

When I don't finish my sections on time, finding weak outside of timing becomes difficult.

I have been scoring q36 to q44 on my math sections. My goal is to consistently stay in the mid 40s and eventually push it up to a 48.

With all the time in the world, my accuracy rate is very high on all sections.

I would miss 1/15 questions on untimed questions. My timing issues have affected my scores.

Before I seriously contemplate applying for disability accomodations, I will answer each math question in under 2 minutes so that it become habit. I will answer each verbal question in under 1.5 minutes.