Urch Forums

veritasprep or kaplan or princeton reivew.

v-rap

Hi,

I am trying to decide which of above training is good. Anybody has any suggestion ? I have very less time for prep. I am leaning on some kind of training will give me edge, I am aiming for 700 score.

I am in Minneapolis, Please let me know if anybody has any insight on instructors around this area. Also in general which course is better.

Thanks in advance.

I'm doing a one month prep and I've just finished the Veritas intensive course in Mumbai, India. Don't really think it was very useful. Their material, although useful, is far from sufficient by itself. You'd definitely have to use other stuff to prepare.

Couple of good things though - They took individual lessons for all Quant topics, and that helps in strengthening your fundamentals.

Also, what i really liked was that they had plenty of practice problems per lesson to implement what you learn.

All in all, Veritas was decent, but not great.

Can't say anything about Kaplan or PR.

One of my close friend took Veritas in Houston.

It is complete waste of time and useless.

Their book materials are awful except the Statistics and Probabilty book.

You can get these 2 books combined into one book in Amazon.com. Book name is I guess GMAT Project or something.

Verbal material is certainly not helpful at all.

They claim that they provide 15 tests. None of them are certainly not that useful.

- 3 arco tests. Just little above the standard of PR

- 2 GMAT Prep tests :) you know what that smiley is for

- 5 Veritas test: This test is certaily waste of time. No where close to GMAT

- 5 800Score test: You can buy this for around 30$ online

Think abt it. If you still want to do course with someone considr Manhattan. Their books dedicated to each chappter of Q and B are very good.

They have online program as well.

This way u can save time.

Kaplan course is ok.

Princeton is good if you are ok for 650-700 score. They provide good strategies for the test. Not too good for the in depth concepts.

Good luck

Hi,

I am still not sure at this point. Veritas offers 42 hrs and they have lot more classes than Kaplan and PR. I have two options for my timing either Veritasperp or Kaplan. Can somebody throw some light...thanks Kann for you info.

Did your friend take GMAT who had taken class with Veritasprep ? how much did he score ?

Thanks

V-

• 2 months later...

I posted this on other thread. Thought this is more relavent place...Here goes my experience after taking the veritas perp course--

I suggest not to take veritas prep course. I have taken it and felt I lost 42 hrs of prep time. I literaly wasted time traveling and attending the class. What they do is solve the problems in the book,which I can sit at home and do it. No strategy is thought, all 99% percentile tutors are ancient and they don't even know about CAT properly. They hail from paper exam era. Not sure even they got 99% percentile.

I suggest have a good self study plan and do it yourself, spend as much money possible on books than sending $1500 on training. Get varity - PR, Kaplan and Manhattan (SC is very good) , Veritas compared to Manhattan - Veritas is way behind in structure and material. They need to upgrade there instructors and material both. And FYI - Instructor being 99 percentile does not mean they are good. Every 99 percentile candidate cannot be good teacher. They mostly have a hectic job, they come to teach for heck of it and they are not dedicated.

To add more Veritas exams are phatetic. They have 4 of 800 exams and 2 gmat prep exams (which are free - I dont know why they count as 2 of 15 exams they offer-dumb), 5 of there own, 2 thomoson. Which are never updated. The training material is same from past 4 years. Instructor carry the books which are torn and they look like from late 70's.

If I would get back my time and redo the whole preparation - I would buy

a) OC 11

b) Manhattan SC and CR - Browse thru math from Kaplan and Manhattan in book store (BN or borders) after going thru OC11. Pick another varity

c) May be buy Kaplan 800 if I had time to study.

d) Buy good exams - I would suggest Manhattan and flirt little with Kaplan exams.

e) Give as many exams as possible

And get over with GMAT.

Anyway that is my two cents, I think I went little tangent on the topic. However it will help when someone who wants to analyze.

- V

I posted this on other thread. Thought this is more relavent place...Here goes my experience after taking the veritas perp course--

I suggest not to take veritas prep course. I have taken it and felt I lost 42 hrs of prep time. I literaly wasted time traveling and attending the class. What they do is solve the problems in the book,which I can sit at home and do it. No strategy is thought, all 99% percentile tutors are ancient and they don't even know about CAT properly. They hail from paper exam era. Not sure even they got 99% percentile.

I suggest have a good self study plan and do it yourself, spend as much money possible on books than sending $1500 on training. Get varity - PR, Kaplan and Manhattan (SC is very good) , Veritas compared to Manhattan - Veritas is way behind in structure and material. They need to upgrade there instructors and material both. And FYI - Instructor being 99 percentile does not mean they are good. Every 99 percentile candidate cannot be good teacher. They mostly have a hectic job, they come to teach for heck of it and they are not dedicated.

To add more Veritas exams are phatetic. They have 4 of 800 exams and 2 gmat prep exams (which are free - I dont know why they count as 2 of 15 exams they offer-dumb), 5 of there own, 2 thomoson. Which are never updated. The training material is same from past 4 years. Instructor carry the books which are torn and they look like from late 70's.

If I would get back my time and redo the whole preparation - I would buy

a) OC 11

b) Manhattan SC and CR - Browse thru math from Kaplan and Manhattan in book store (BN or borders) after going thru OC11. Pick another varity

c) May be buy Kaplan 800 if I had time to study.

d) Buy good exams - I would suggest Manhattan and flirt little with Kaplan exams.

e) Give as many exams as possible

And get over with GMAT.

Anyway that is my two cents, I think I went little tangent on the topic. However it will help when someone who wants to analyze.

- V

You are absolutely correct. My friend said exact same thing.

In case if it helps:

- Dont even think abt their own 5 tests. Neither Verbal nor Quants are good enough. GUI is pathetic.

- 4 800 exams: Quants part is good. But tough. It will help you to sharpen the weaker quants areas. Verbal is waste of time.

- Arco/Thomso test: If you run out of tests then think abt this. Not bad. Rather you can buy one of the Manhattan book for 30$ and get 6 free CATs along with that.

- Veritas Statistics and Probability books are very good. I've not found anything better than that in those topics.

:2cents:

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I just had the WORST experience with Veritas Prep. I would HIGHLY recommend not signing up with them.

I signed up for a 42 hour 7 week course ($1500) via the Veritas prep website back in Sept of 2008. Since I had a upcoming wedding that I wanted to attend, I thought I would call veritas prep and see if I could postpone my class to January. So the rep that I spoke to, did just that. Only, he signed me up for the same course at a location that is 70 miles away from my original location. I showed up at the wrong testing center to begin the class. The center was "not currently testing" and I was turned away at the reception. When I told veritas about this, they basically told me that the test was no longer offered at that location and that I would have to drive 70 miles away (one way!) to test at this other site. I told them that this was not an option for me (since I am not speedy gonzales..) and that I wanted a refund. They said sure. I sent the materials back. Money never showed up. (they write you a check to re-imburse you) A month goes by, I speak to the "owner of the company" - Chad Troutine. Who is basically a 12 year old that suddenly figured out how to rip people off through a GMAT prep scam. Anyway, so Chad assures me that he will take care of this personally and that my refund will be processed asap. He assures me that he will call me the next morning and overnight my check. Chad disappears. I haven't spoken to him since. So I decided to call back for the 20th time yesterday(Feb 19th), I speak to a rep that used these words without absolutely no provocation - "Well, I'm not sure why nobody has called you but you have to be very stupid to think that we will give you your money back. We did you a favor and moved your class for you. We can not give you a refund for this now. Please stop wasting our time." When I heard this, I tried to complain to his manager. He hung up on me. I called back. He hung up on me again. I tried a bunch of random extensions till I got someone else. Asked them to find out his manager's name and connect me directly to the manager. They were able to do this for me. When I spoke to the manager, he began defending his employee and accused me of lying to him. When I asked him to pull the call to review it, he said he didn't need to because he knew I had to be lying to him. (This is the manager!!) Then...the MANAGER hung up on me! I called back...to see if I could speak to ANYONE about this...but gave up quickly knowing that this was going nowhere. Especially since the "owner of the company" refuses to follow through with his promises. I have left several voicemails on his phone and he has never called me back.

I immediately called my credit card company to dispute the charges on my card but since the class date has already passed, I'm pretty sure I will never see my money again.

DO NOT sign up with veritas prep!

Even though the class material may help you, their business eticate is VERY flawed and they will rip you off as soon as they get a chance!

I don't think I've ever spoken to a group of people in customer service that care NOTHING about the customer, until Veritas prep.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the whole pay-for-prep thing is somewhat overrated. I know we have covered this so many times on this forum, but why not a study plan like this:

1.) Get the Official Guides (that is like $50 on Amazon)

2.) Download the official GMAT test prep stuff for free

3.) Buy a few extra books if you want

4.) Go out and work all the free GMAT tests you can find (and there are like 10 at this point--just Google).

A friend of mine did that and rocked out a 760. I just think the really expensive prep is overrated...My opinion though.

I had a terrible experience with Veritas. They say you will get 15 prep tests, however it is only 5 and of those 5, only 3 are worth anything. My veritas prep instructor himself told me this and my experience backed it up.

The books are very low quality, filled with copied content (or so it seemed to me) and the whole concept that you can throw money at something and make it work just seems crazy. My roommate had a crappy experience with Kaplan and I know nothing about Princeton. Sorry to be so gloomy, but whatever.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a follow up to my previous post/complaint about my experience with Veritas prep (my previous sign-in was AnujVohra but I can't seem to log in using that ID anymore). Just to give everyone an update, since my last post, I have been contacted by Chad Troutine from Veritas. Chad was very understanding about the problems I had experienced with Veritas business support earlier and has gone out of his way to personally take care of my experience with Veritas.

He has been very assuring that my initial experience with Veritas is not a very common one and has apologised for the mix-up on mutiple occasions.

In addition, I was provided a very generous refund and a discount to admissions consulting at Veritas.

As for the course itself, I started the full course with Veritas last week and the course is great. The format and structure of the sessions were exactly what I had hoped for and the instructor is a very smart guy that did his MBA at Stanford. (His name is Brian Greenwald for those of you that are interested in instructor recommendations)

I highly recommend this course to anyone interested.