Urch Forums

Q51 V51.... but I got a 790?

CaliforniaKid

I got a 51 in both sections, and I was under the impression that 51 is about the highest you can get. I've searched all over the internet, and people are getting 51/48s and still getting 790s, and the few people I found who got 51/51 got an 800.

I actually struggled really early with the math (I think I had a couple of tough sample questions) but then smoothed out and ended it on a roll, and I absolutely killed the verbal - I'd be willing to bet that I missed at most 1 verbal question. Math I definitely missed at least 1-3, although they might have been sample questions.

So anyway, what's the deal here? Why didn't I get an 800? I checked Columbia and Stanford's 2009 class profiles and both of them have a maximum score of 790... I checked Berkeley and Harvard and a bunch of others as well, but they only give middle 80% ranges so I can't tell whether or not they have any 800s.

Can anyone provide some insight? I know I might come off as frivolous worrying about the difference between a 790 and an 800, but I got a 760 the first time I took the test and retook it SPECIFICALLY because I wanted to get an 800, and now I feel like I failed.

Thanks for your help!

MBA.com phone support was awful... it is all outsourced to India and I don't even know if they know what the test is on. After like 10 minutes on the phone the lady still thought I was trying to tell her that I was in the 51st percentile. Then, she said that scores can go up to 60, even though I KNOW from reading these forums and from talking to others that that isn't the case.

There are several people in the other forum who are getting like Q51/V49 and getting 790s, but everybody that I've managed to find who got a 51/51 got an 800.

I also checked out Columbia and Stanford's incoming class, and neither class had a single 800... I tried to look at a lot of other schools as well, but most only provide a middle 80% which isn't helpful.

I don't really have that much help to give... I had a PR private tutor for 3 weeks this summer (14 hours) and studied about 2 hours a day and got a 760 (50/47). I only ended up using about 10 out of the 14 hours with my tutor, since I went through the material so quickly. I was disappointed, because I knew I had screwed up early on in the math section and had kind of panicked, and I felt that if I took it again I could get an 800.

I've been busy with a ton of other stuff lately, so I scheduled my test so that I could study over Cal's bye week. I studied for about 2 weeks ~1-2 hours a day and took it Thurs afternoon.

I used the orange GMAT book, which was so/so, and the Kaplan 800 book which I think really, really helped me on the verbal section.

It's very possible that I was very close to 50 on the math, but I am certain that I got the highest possible score on the verbal, whether it be a 51 or whatever. Has anyone gotten an 800? Do you know if there are special circumstances or anything? For example, I know if you get an 800, you aren't allowed to retake the test for 5 years, even if you want to...

790 is a sick score! I congratulate you my man. From what I have heard, you are better off keeping your 790 than trying for the 800. When applying to top MBA schools, they are looking more for well-rounded individuals. You should focus on rounding out your profile instead of proving to yourself that you can get more than a 760.

For example, Stanford has bragged about rejecting all 800 applicants in the past years as they tend to have an arrogant character. If you plan to get that 800, you better make sure that your personality, leadership, work experience, and UGPA score an 800 as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Read this book: "Managers not MBAs", by Henry Mintzberg. Although I doubt he is the ultimate college admissions guru, he does know what he is talking about. He states that business schools will happily redirect you to a PhD program before admitting you into their MBA program if you've a less than desirable personality to go along with your high score.

Besides, 790 is above 99%tile. Concerning yourself with 10 points is rather trivial. If you have any doubt in your mind say, "well maybe I missed one or two. 800 is perfect, and missing one or two is close, but is not perfect."

Congrats on the exam. I can only dream of achieving such a wonderfully high score.