Urch Forums

Applying to the PhD in Biomedical Engineering at Purdue University

cmpotes

Hi everybody. I am applying to the doctoral program in Biomedical Engineering at Purdue University. I have my BS in Bioengineering from the Universidad Santiago de Cali, Colombia, and my Master's degree in Electrical Engineering from University of Texas at El Paso, USA. My BS GPA is 3.9, and my MS GPA is 3.72. I also have research experience for two years, and I have published 1 journal article, 3 conference articles, 2 abstracts, 1 technical report, and my master's thesis. I have presented two conferences and 1 poster session. My GRE is not so good; I got 350 in the verbal part, and 650 in the quantitative part. I will retake the GRE on Dec 8, and I hope to improve my previous score. The question is Do you think I will be accepted to this competitive university?

Thank you very much

• 1 month later...
Have you tried flash cards when preparing for the Verbal section? They help a lot. If you check the GRE subforums you will find some really good advice on preparing for the GRE. I think you could easily raise your Verbal score in to the 600s if you use flash cards. I was getting similar Verbal practice scores to yours until I started using them and I eventually got a 670 at the actual test, I only learned about 100-150 words.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

I learned around 800 hundred words when I was preparing for the GRE. However, English is not my first language, and I have found the reading and the analogy parts difficult. In the last exam, I got very well in the antonyms section; however, the reading section was really tough. Even more when reading is about arts and history; I am engineer and understand much better the scientific readings.

• 1 year later...