Urch Forums

Reject PhD offers and re-apply in this December?

iamlyx

Hi everyone,

I have finance PhD offers from UBC Sauder and Rochester Simon, but now I have a chance to work as full-time RA for an institute led by Prof.Thomas Sargent and will hopefully get a letter from him if I re-apply for finance PhD this December.

I know there is some opportunity costs and I might be rejected next year due to all possible reasons and the subjective perception of being rejected once. So should I reject my offers and re-apply?

And if you were me, which school would you choose? Why? Any advice will be immensely appreciated!

BTW OP is a applying with a master degree from China.

• 11 months later...
I know there is some opportunity costs and I might be rejected next year due to all possible reasons and the subjective perception of being rejected once.

The schools you were accepted to are not bad schools. There are "better" schools, yes, but how much impact will a year's worth of RA work have on your applications? I can't answer that question for you, but how much "new" is added to your resume?

BTW OP is a applying with a master degree from China.

Is the Master's degree relevant to the field? If yes, then I think the RAship will have a much lower marginal impact.

Overall, I would take one of the two offers. (Personally, I like Vancouver better than Rochester, and UBC is higher ranked, but research fit should be the primary factor). UBC has good PhD Placements, so the opportunity cost is a minimum of, say, $120k since you'll be forgoing at least a year of assistant prof salary (assuming you don't go into industry). If you have a guaranteed offer from UBC, I think the probability of having something BETTER next year is not worth forgoing this.